The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: PECOTA gives the Rays a 91.2% shot at making the playoffs including a 62.3% chance of winning the AL East. The Red Sox only have a 17.6% shot at making the playoffs.
THE BAD: Ben Zobrist has gone 162 plate appearances since his last home run. He is the only regular #3 hitter in the AL without a home run.
THE TELLING: JP Howell will throw a batting practice session today for the first time since going on the DL.
WHERE THEY STAND: Despite a recent 3-game losing streak that included a perfect game, the Rays still have the best record in baseball at 24-10, 2 games ahead of the Yankees and 4.5 games ahead of the Tigers in the Wild Card race.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- We have no idea what “Team Supreme” is (are those the werewolves or the vampires?), but Andy Sonnanstine is now an “official” member. [Twitter]
- Ben Zobrist will continue to serve as the backup first baseman instead of Willy Aybar…The same article also includes quotes from Scott Boras on the value of Carlos Pena. You would think ‘Los was a 6-time AL MVP. [St. Pete Times]
- Shane Dyer has been promoted to Charlotte. [Twitter]
- One reason Shane Dyer was promoted was his outstanding strikeout-to-walk ratio. Rays Prospects looks at the ratio for all the Rays minor league starters. [Rays Prospects]
- Roger Mooney believe the Rays will eventually release Pat Burrell. [Rays Report]
- If you were wondering what Pat Burrell is doing while he is waiting to be DFA’d, here is your answer. [TAUNTR]
- Marc Topkin writes about the Rays success in spite of the struggles of some of the team’s best hitters. [St. Pete Times]
- Despite a recent 3-game losing streak, the Rays are still #1 in Tim Brown’s Power Rankings. [Yahoo! Sports]
- Drays Bay looks at whether the Rays should promote Hank Blalock. [DRays Bay]
- Dock of the Rays examines the evolution of Jeff Niemann. [Dock of the Rays]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Check out “The Rundown” from Rays Prospects for boxscores and more detailed recaps. [Rays Prospects]
- DURHAM: Carlos Hernandez allowed just 1 unearned run in 7 innings on 3 hits and 1 walk. He struck out 5…Dan Johnson continues his torrid pace with 3 more hits including a double and his triple-A leading 11th home run. His 1.037 OPS ranks second in the IL…Desmond Jennings was 3-5 with a double and his 8th stolen base.
- MONTGOMERY: Alex Torres pitched 7 shutout innings. He allowed 3 hits and 2 walks with 3 strikeouts.
- CHARLOTTE: Joe Cruz gave up 4 runs in 5 innings, striking out 4…Matt Sweeney was 2-4 with his 5th home run. He also committed his 8th error…Tim Beckham went 1-5 with a strikeout.
- BOWLING GREEN: Jason McEachern allowed 4 runs (3 earned) in 6 innings…Tyler Bortnick hit his 1st home run of the season…Mayobanex Acosta had 3 singles and 2 RBI in 6 at bats.