Yesterday we mentioned that Evan Longoria signed an endorsement deal to be the “face” of FieldTurf, the makers of the artificial turf found at Tropicana Field. Bobby Fenton brought up an excellent point: Longoria used to hate the FieldTurf.

Here is a quote from Longoria in a St. Pete Times article from just two months ago…

“The turf on your lower back and hamstrings is really tough…It’s definitely different. We go on the road and play for 10 days and you feel good and then you come back on the turf for a couple days and you definitely feel it in your hamstrings.”

Longoria missed six games last season due to hamstring tightness.But hey, with all that money FieldTurf is now giving him, we guess he can afford all the massages he wants.

1. Mike says:

I went on the outfield for the first time at the ZZ Top concert. I was amazed at how the warning track feels almost identical to the rest of the outfield. You would think we would put in some dirt or something out there so CC and BJ would know where they are, but I guess maybe they have played there so much they know and the lack of a true warning track is just another home field advantage.

• Jason says:

The pebbles/rubber on the “warning track” are actually significantly bigger than the rest of the field. It may not seem like a big difference but when you are on the field turf a lot, you definitely can tell. So that may be an advantage for the Rays since only two teams play 81 home games a year on the fake stuff!!

2. Beth says:

Oh, please, let’s cut him some slack. We’ve got him under contract for many years at below market value, so I’m happy if he can make money on any endorsements that come along. It’s not like he’d been advocating off-shore oil drilling or something.

3. Justin says:

I mentioned this yesterday: we’re talking about fake turf on a concrete floor. The shock absorption is going to be bad no matter what, astro or field turf. There is only so much you can do to pad the ground.

4. Joe D. says:

Justin, that’s actually the thing if you’ve never been on it, it has so much give that it’s like exercise just walking on it, very rubbery.

5. Gus says:

I can understand CC complaining, but 90% of Longo’s steps are on the dirt, not the fieldturf.

• Bobby Fenton says:

THIS! Why is more not being made out of that? He plays thrid base. His time on the turf consists of walking from the on-deck circle up to the plate. I don’t get it.

And the commenter Don below is right. These guys need to stop acting like pansies. It’s frekaing baseball. Even an outfielder may only run a couple sprints a night on the turf chasing down balls. Let’s not go crazy here.

The turf at the Trop sucks because it looks terrible. That’s the biggest thing.

6. TheRevTy says:

Out of curiosity, why does the turf have to be so tough? I understand why you can’t have grass (though there has to be someway to grow grass indoors…) but, since they don’t roll up the turf like they do in Toronto, can’t they make it as close to grass as possible? It just seems like there should be a better solution.

7. Jim says:

I didn’t think Longo was necessarily complaining about the turf earlier, but just explaining why his off season workout routine included so much hamstring work.

I played basketball all my life…guarantee the floor was harder than astro turf and I had to jump up and down …besides running……my back or hamstrings never bother me…. or am I from a tougher generation??

• TheRevTy says:

It isn’t the hardness, it is the strange spongy feel. It gives it a very slight trampoline feel that causes your muscles to work ever so slightly harder, and over time, it wears your legs out.