The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Better Late Than Never. The Rays had only scored more than 4 runs twice this season, but scored 5 in the 8th and 8 runs in the final 3 innings. In one 8 batter span in the 8th, the Rays had 6 singles and a double. The big blow was Evan Longoria’s 2-run single to tie the game…Carlos Pena. El Gato’s 3-run shot in the 10th proved to be the game-winner. Earlier in the game, Pena flashed his gold glove when he left his feet and made a catch 3-rows deep down the right field line.
THE BAD: Randy Choate. After blowing the lead by giving up a 2-run HR (this time to a lefty) we half-expected Andrew Friedman to visit the mound to not only remove him from the game, but also from the roster…Over-Protection. One day after going 4-4, Carl Crawford did not start. Yes it was a lefty, but Crawford is an everyday player and it is only week 2. At this rate, Crawford will miss 20 games this year just due to managerial decisions…Rafael Soriano. It was a meaningless solo home run with a 3-run lead, but we are still waiting for Soriano’s first 1-2-3 outing. We are not worried. We are just waiting for him to hit his stride.
THE TELLING: Last night’s game featured two starting pitchers that were both drafted #4 in their respective drafts. We have to imagine that it is rare for top-5 picks to face each other…Brilliant move on the part of the Orioles to have a t-shirt giveaway the second week of April. Game time temp was 43°. Not to mention, the t-shirts were to be given to the first 10,000 fans, 15-and-over. 13,731 was the paid attendance, but there is no way 10,000 people were there last night.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Kelly Shoppach was placed on the DL with a sprained knee suffered during Saturday’s game. John Jaso has been recalled from Durham.
- Leslie Anderson, the Cuban defector (not the pitcher, the other one) signed by the Rays last month must have finally gotten his Visa issues resolved. The Rays made his signing official yesterday and announced Anderson will report to extended spring training. Anderson can play first base and all three outfield positions.
- Marc Topkin says Leslie Anderson will eventually be assigned to Charlotte or Montgomery and could be a September call-up. [St. Pete Times]
- Here is some video of James Shields playing golf. The clip is a preview for “Inside the Rays” which will air this Sunday on Sun Sports at 4:30. [Fox Sports Florida]
- Surprised we haven’t heard more about the possibility of Carl Crawford ending up in Houston next season. [Crawfish Boxes]
- How about some “Longoriaisms.” [Sports Casualties]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Check out “The Rundown” from Rays Prospects for boxscores and more detailed recaps. [Rays Prospects]
- DURHAM: Jeremy Hellickson allowed just 1 run in 6.1 innings, striking out 7 and walking 1. He allowed 4 hits, but only 1 in the first 6 innings. At one point he retired 14 straight…Dale Thayer picked up his 3rd save despite 2 hits and a walk in 1.1 innings…Fernando Perez was 1-4 with a double and an RBI…Matt Joyce went 0-4 with a strikeout…Dan Johnson was 2-4 with a home run…Hank Blalock did not play again.
- MONTGOMERY: No game scheduled
- CHARLOTTE: Chris Andujar allowed 2 runs in 4 innings. He walked 3 and did not strike out a batter…Matt Sweeney was 1-4 with a double.
- BOWLING GREEN: Alex Colome allowed only 1 baserunner in 6 innings, a 2-out double in the 4th. He struck out 6…Tyler Bortnick had his second straight 3-hit game, going 3-4.