One fun story to watch this summer will be Evan Longoria’s stolen bases. Yes, we said stolen bases. Dirtbag is not known for his speed, but in his first two seasons, Longoria has stolen 16 bases without being caught. That is 11 shy of Tim Raines’ major league record of 27 consecutive steals without being caught to start a career.
Of course Longoria’s career high is only 9, so even if he goes all season without being caught, he still might not break the record until 2011.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- If you missed it last night, we opened The Raysheads Forum, a discussion forum for Rays fans. [Rays Index]
- Reid Brignac was named Rays top rookie of the spring, winning the Al Lopez Award…Evan Longoria will be presented with his Gold Glove award prior to Saturday’s game…The Rays have MLB’s 6th youngest team and 2nd youngest rotation (behind Detroit).
- Marc Topkin has the opening day lineups for the Rays and O’s. Sean Rodriguez gets the start at second base and will bat 8th with Dioner Navarro behind the plate and batting 9th. [The Heater]
- The Rays announced that the opener is now sold out. To clarify, we never were worried that it wouldn’t sell out. Our worry was only that there did not appear to be great demand for opening day tickets.
- Hank Blalock still has an opt-out clause and can give the Rays 48-hours notice to either add him to the big league roster or release him…David Price and Wade Davis pitched simulated games yesterday…Jeremy Beckham, Tim’s brother, was released. [St. Pete Times]
- Evan Longoria appeared on the Dan Patrick Show. He doesn’t think he is the favorite to win the AL MVP, said the Rays needed 3 or 4 days to recover after facing Roy Halladay, never buys new pants and would rather somebody hit on his girlfriend than touch his glove. [SI.com]
- Rays Prospects takes a closer look at the Bowling Green roster. [Rays Prospects]
- Rays Prospects previews the Charlotte Stone Crabs. [Rays Prospects]
- Noah Pransky has a good summary of recent discussions on the Rays quest for a new stadium. [Shadow of the Stadium]
- Rays Rev has pictures of some of the Rays upcoming promotional giveaways. [Rays Rev]
- Dave Scheiber writes about Rocco Baldelli’s return to the Rays. [Fox Sports Florida]