The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Cy Garza. Gonzo went 8 innings for the third straight start. This time he held the Sox scoreless on 4 hits and 2 walks with 5 Ks. On the season he is 3-0 with a 0.75 ERA and a 19-to-7 strikeout-to-walk ratio. Garza would have to be an early favorite for the AL Cy Young award…CC’s D. Carl Crawford has been a great defensive left fielder for about 3 years now, but he has taken it to a new level this year. In the 5th he negated the Sox’ first basehit when played a wall-ball perfectly and nailed Adrian Beltre at second base…Maddon Shift. Nobody uses the shift more than Joe Maddon and yesterday it produced your less-than-standard 4-5-3 double play. Victor Martinez grounded to Ben Zobrist who threw to Evan Longoria covering second base. Dirtbag then completed the twin-killing.
THE BAD: Sox Run Prevention. Not sure where that awesome Red Sox defense was on Carlos Pena’s and BJ Upton’s home runs.
THE TELLING: Carlos Pena’s long home run came off a lefty, but for his career, Pena’s home run rate is not much different against righties (1 every 14.5 ABs) and lefties (1 every 17.5 ABs)…The Rays have now won 6 in a row and are 6-0 on this 10-game road trip…The Rays 9 wins already matches their win total from April of last year…The Rays only previous sweep in Fenway was a 2-game series in 1999.
WHERE THEY STAND: The Rays are 9-3, tied with the Yankees for first in the AL East. The Rays are also 2.5 games ahead of Toronto and Detroit in the Wild Card race. After 12 games in 2008, the Rays were 6-6.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Desmond Jennings was activated from the DL and made his 2010 debut. [Watching Durham Bulls Baseball]
- Michael Sasso looks at where money for a new Rays stadium might come from. [Tampa Tribune]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Check out “The Rundown” from Rays Prospects for boxscores and more detailed recaps. [Rays Prospects]
- DURHAM: Jeremy Hellickson picked up his 3rd win allowing just 1 run, a 1st inning home run to former Rays prospect Rhyne Hughes. Hellboy allowed only 3 more hits in 7.2 innings. He struck out 8 and walked 1…Desmond Jennings returned to action and went 1-3 with 2 walks…Fernando Perez was 2-3 with a walk and his 5th stolen base…Justin Ruggiano had 2 hits and 3 RBI…Hank Blalock went 1-4 with an RBI.
- MONTGOMERY: Ryan Reid blew a 2-run lead in the 9th…Matt Fields went 1-4 with a double. He struck out twice.
- CHARLOTTE: Postponed, Rain
- BOWLING GREEN: Alex Colome gave up 2 runs (1 earned) in 4.2 innings.