The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Wade Davis. Big Dub struggled with his control, walking 4, but otherwise looked good allowing 2 runs in 6 innings with 5 strikeouts…Grant Balfour. The Mad Australian had his best outing of the spring working 2 scoreless innings, allowing just 1 hit and walking none…Sean Rodriguez. Rodzilla continued his hot spring with a double and a pair of singles…Ben Zobrist. Zobrist had 2 doubles, a single and drove in 4.
THE BAD: Andy Sonnanstine. The Duke, working his first back-to-back outings in relief, walked 2 and gave up a home run (to a guy wearing #93) in 1 inning of work.
THE TELLING: Rafael Soriano pitched in a minor league game. It was the first time he pitched on back-to-back days…Joe Dillon and Alvin Colina were reassigned to minor league camp…James Shields will pitch in a minor league game today to avoid facing the Orioles who he will face on Tuesday. Dioner Navarro will be his catcher suggesting Navi will be in the lineup on opening day…The Rays set a franchise record for wins in spring training with their 19th…Today is the final official spring training game. The Rays will play a pair of exhibitions starting tomorrow at The Trop against the Mets and this weekend against the Bulls in Durham.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Hank Blalock says he will not go to Durham if asked by the Rays. Instead, he will choose free agency if he is not on the Rays opening day roster.
- The Rays have a new official Twitter feed called @RaysRepublic which just screams “hey, we are copying the Red Sox and Yankees…poorly.” [Twitter]
- Jon Weber had a good run, but he did not make Yankees opening day roster. But based on Joe Girardi’s previous comments, we wouldn’t be surprised if he makes his big league debut sometime this summer. [New York Times]
- Marc Topkin shows that the team with the best record in the spring has gone on to the playoffs 8 of the past 13 years. [St. Pete Times]
- If the Rays win today, they will tie for the 5th best spring training record since 1966. [Tampa Tribune]