The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Blackout. At least many of us didn’t have to watch that crap. Thanks FOX!
THE BAD: Schedule. Thanks to 2 off-days in the first week, the Yankees were able to skip their 5th starter and still have CC Sabathia on an extra day of rest. Meanwhile, the Rays have yet to have a day off and had to oppose Sabathia with Wade Davis, a pitcher that almost lost his job to Andy Sonnanstine. Needless to say, the result wasn’t far from expected…Ugh. CC Sabathia after the game on the number of Yankees fans at the game: “It felt like we were at home.”
THE TELLING: We don’t think we are going out on a limb here when we say that the hit by Kelly Shoppach to break up the no-hitter in the 8th, was a bigger hit than any Dioner Navarro will have all season…Joe Girardi announced after the game that CC Sabathia was coming out of the game after Kelly Shoppach even if the no-hitter was still intact saying he didn’t want Sabathia to go past 115 pitches (he finished with 111).
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Jeff Niemann feels better and is expected to throw a bullpen session today. [Tampa Tribune]
- Joe Maddon says he will continue to use Pat Burrell as his most-days DH. [Tampa Tribune]
- Joe Maddon talks about his use of the defensive shift and Carlos Pena talks about hitting against one. [Tampa Tribune]
- Joe Henderson writes that Kelly Shoppach’s denied us a great debate. [Tampa Tribune]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Check out “The Rundown” from Rays Prospects for boxscores and more detailed recaps. [Rays Prospects]
- DURHAM: Matt Joyce left the game after being hit by a pitch in the first inning…John Jaso was 2-4 with a double and Fernando Perez was 2-5 with a triple. Perez also stole 2 bases…Chris Richard hit his first home run…
- MONTGOMERY: Jake McGee threw 5 shutout innings in his first double-A start since 2008. He struck out 3 and walked 2…Emeel Salem was 2-2 with a pair of walks…
- CHARLOTTE: Matt Sweeney went 0-4 with a pair of strikeouts and an error…Anthony Scelfo was 4-5.
- BOWLING GREEN: Brett Nommensen, the Rays 8th round pick last year, went 3-4 with a triple and a walk.