The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Offense. 5 different players had 2 hits yesterday including Jason Bartlett, BJ Upton and Kelly Shoppach…David Price. Price was solid prior to being removed even though he ended up being charged with 2 runs (both scored after he left). He retired the side in the first. And Adrian Beltre’s single was just bad luck as the pitch shattered his bat.
THE BAD: Maple Bats. Adrian Beltre’s bat broke at the handle sending the barrel flying through the air where it hit David Price in the chin and the right hand. Price was cut on his hand, but was otherwise OK…Joaquin Benoit. Benoit gave up another home run. Not a good start in battle for final bullpen spot.
THE TELLING: Ben Zobrist started in RF for the first time this spring and Reid Brignac made his first start at 3B as a pro with Sean Rodriguez at 2B…Willy Aybar will DH today…The Rays have now won 7 straight since losing the opener.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Joe Maddon says the maple bat is “turning into the Claymore mine of baseball”…That is fine, but does anybody know how many, if any, Rays use maple bats? Because if any Rays are using the bat, his statements are a bit hypocritical. [Tampa Tribune]
- Another injury for Desmond Jennings, his second this spring and 432nd of his career. This time it is a sprained wrist he suffered sliding earlier this week. He will have to wear a splint for 5-7 days. His spring training is probably over but he should be back in time for the start of Durham’s season. [Rays Report]
- Even though Hank Blalock is on a minor league deal, Elliot Johnson was forced to give up his number and Blalock didn’t even pay for it…The Rays don’t even know if Blalock will ever play for the team. Meanwhile, Johnson has put 8 years into this organization. Way to take care of your own Rays. [Tampa Tribune]
- Joe Maddon says Ben Zobrist will likely open the season playing both RF and 2B…Not at the same time. Because that would be weird, even for Joe Maddon. [St. Pete Times]
- A video report by Jill Arrington and Dave Wills (lucky bastard) on BJ Upton. [FSFlorida]
- Baseball Musings projects the Rays offense using the Lineup Analysis Tool and notes that BJ Upton should probably be leading off and Carl Crawford should not be batting second. [Baseball Musings]
- Rise of the Rays wonders if the Rays will look to trade Willy Aybar now that Hank Blalock is on board. [Rise of the Rays]
- Tampa Bay Rays Fan looks at all the injuries the Rays have suffered this spring. [Tampa Bay Rays Fan]
- Dock of the Rays says it is time for Pat Burrell and Hank Blalock to stop whining and start playing. [Dock of the Rays]
- Another day, another Milton Bradley story. In this interview, he blames the Chicago Cubs for the racist mail he received and doesn’t dismiss the idea that some of the mail came from people inside the organization. [ESPN]