Marc Topkin has a story on Sean Rodriguez and his dad Johnny Rodriguez. The elder Rodriguez is a manager in the Cardinals’ system. And while many dads hope their sons grow up to be big leaguers, Johnny took it to a new extreme with Sean.

Sure, he put in so much time working with his son Sean, making him swing the heavy 30-inch bat with the weighted doughnut as a 4-year-old, throw balls from the outfield fence all the way to the plate at age 8, field hard-hit ground balls until he fell over at age 10.

Was Johnny just an overzealous father that really wanted his son to be a baseball player a little too much? Um, it is much worse than that.

He had pushed him to be better, to be more prepared and more confident than anyone else, saying, proudly, “I always treated him like a player, never as a son.”

The most disturbing thing about that sentence is that Johnny says it “proudly.” Sean will be 25 next month and if Johnny had it to do all over again, it sounds like he wouldn’t change a thing.

And that folks, is effed up.

Let’s just hope for the Rays sake, that Sean Rodriguez doesn’t end up like Todd Marinovic.

Before you make a personal (outside) observation ...why don't you ask the SON about how he feels about how he was raised...
    I'm betting he would say he was GRATEFUL for the way his father treated him because now he KNOWS he can play MLB and make millions of dollars!!!
    In contrast if you were his father he might be writing about baseball players..... for peanunts.... instead of being one ......
    And folks that would have been f___ upped for Alex Jr.
    Thats all I'm saying....

2. Paul says:

If that's all you're saying, why the ...... at the end of your post?

If anyone thinks being loaded with cash is better than having a father who actually looks on you as a son, then they are as messed up as Rodriguez snr.

3. John says:

I suspect this isn't exactly in context. And having played ball with many a "coaches son" growing up, I can actually appreciate the attitude.

4. RickRays says:

If that's the case I guess Tiger Woods should have hated his dad.

5. don papa says:

Yea he treted his son like a ball player first.

What the f is wrong with that? Johnny gave him the tules and opportunity that all ball players dreme of in Miami.

I grew up all around it and went to school with Sean. I also played ball and competed with him since we were 8.

I think johnnys plan has worked out and your artikle is garbage.. Your kid must be a pine rider.... lmao

• My parents always treated me like a son first and I grew up and got a PhD in molecular biology. No splinters in my ass.

My daughter is 6 months old and I will ALWAYS treat her as my daughter first, no matter what she is doing and no matter what I am doing. It is called being a good parent.

• Richard says:

If my son ends up being a "pine rider" at least at age 9 he can spell better than you. I am giving him the tools (not tules) to be a good man and productive member of society first. I think that the article (not artikle) is one sided since there are no quotes from Sean. I hope my son learns to be a good man from me and a good baseball player from his coach.

6. the one 99 says:

Well, I actually have played with johnny in the cards system and let me tell you this, heis all baseball when we are between the lines. It's not that he beated up sean during practice, its just that when they were at the field it was all work. Outside, it is the same father-son realtionship. It's not like johnny was beating the crap out of sean. Have common sense people!

7. Doctoretty says:

This article is a crock of you know what! First of all, it misquotes Johnny Rodriguez who said he never treated Sean like a son, but like a player ON THE BASEBALL FIELD. (Interesting how that last part got left out!) There is absolutely no reason to believe he did not treat him like a loving father in all other ways.

8. Jorge says:

This guy don't know anything. Sean was my neighbor since he was about 10 years old. He would go out and practice with out having to be told to do so. He would sprint every night until he would beat his own record. This kid had it in him to play. He would actually train my brother and show him how he can improve his game. To the writer of this article go write something else and do not write about things you have no clue about!