Our occasional disappointment in BJ Upton is often misconstrued as a dislike for the player. Nothing could be further from the truth. We are huge Bossman fans. So you can understand our excitement when we read Marc Topkin’s piece on Upton. A few of the bigger points…
- Upton added 7 pounds of muscle this winter.
- Upton…”realizes the indiscretions of his past, such as the lack of hustle and lackadaisical play, and he’s ready to reform.”
- He attended many of the off-season workouts and spent a lot of time with new hitting coach Derek Shelton.
But maybe the most exciting statement from the article comes from Joe Maddon:
Eventually this guy is going to be a superstar.
Yes. Yes he will.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Be sure to scroll down if you missed the Hangovers from this weekend. Much more action than usual.
- Marc Topkin writes about Evan Longoria’s concerns about the Trop’s turf (sore hammys), Pat Burrell’s new shape (less round) and more ABs for Willy Aybar. [St. Pete Times]
- Willy Aybar reported to camp and says his wrist is healed with “no restrictions.” Aybar injured his wrist during winter league ball. [Tampa Tribune]
- Roger Mooney spoke with Wade Davis about fishing, movies and early childhood memories. And is THIS movie really one of Big-Dub’s favorite baseball movies? Never even heard of it. [Rays Report]
- Dennis Maffezzoli notes that fan attendance at the Rays workouts have been surprisingly low so far. [Sarasota Herald-Tribune]