A couple if interesting tidbits from Stuart Sternberg via Marc Topkin…
- Sternberg is surprised at “the speed in which the other front offices have changed their game plans a little bit has forced us to try to stay one step ahead or even in lockstep with them.” Specifically Sternberg is referring to game plans that look a lot like the one the Rays started several years ago.
- Sternberg is puzzled by the lack of unity between Tampa and St. Pete. It is safe to assume that he is referring to the need for a new stadium.
- Sternberg says he doesn’t have the money to build a new stadium himself.
Now on to the regular webtopia.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Johnny Damon signed with the Tigers. [Yahoo! Sports]
- Bob Nightengale says the Tigers were the only team that outbid the Rays for Johnny Damon. [Twitter]
- Marc Topkin has released his third annual “Tampa Bay Rays Power Index,” which looks at the most valuable names associated with the Rays. [St. Pete Times]
- The Brewers introduced a road alternate jersey that will have “Milwaukee” across the front. That leaves the Phillies, Angels, Cardinals and our very own Rays as the only teams without a geographical locality across the front of at least one jersey. [John & Cait…Plus Nine]
- BJ Upton says he has no hard feelings looming from the arbitration hearing and that he is putting his past behind him. [Rays Plays]
- Marc Topkin writes about the uphill battle Andy Sonnanstine faces just making this year’s team. [St. Pete Times]
- Rafael Soriano on facing the tough bats in the AL East: “I do not care…If I am healthy, if I am on the mound, I do not care who the hitter is. I am good, too.” Gary Shelton writes that anything is possible for the Rays if Soriano is the real-deal. [St. Pete Times]
- Marc Topkin has more details about Carl Crawford’s new tattoo: “his last name in script wrapped around his forearm, a skull with a baseball head, a lion in his bicep, and…fixed up an older tattoo that he had and placed his home state of Texas as a background to it all.” [St. Pete Times]
- JP Howell’s off-season workouts included…Peggy Fleming? [Tampa Tribune]
- Roger Mooney did a Q&A with JP Howell about downtime, funny teammates and the Winter Olympics. [Rays Report]
- Scouting the Sally takes a closer look at two of the Rays lower-level prospects, Jake Jefferies and Mike Sheridan. [Scouting the Sally]
- The Collective Troll has some pics of Rafael Soriano in the new sky blue jersey. [The Collective Troll]