On this date four years ago, the Devil Rays signed Shinji Mori to a two-year, $1.4 million contract plus $1 million for the negotiating rights. In his first spring training, Mori injured his shoulder. He was designated for assignment in January of 2007 to make room for Scott Dohmann. He was later re-signed to a minor league deal, but would never pitch for the Rays, as he was released later in 2007.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Willy Aybar had his winter season cut short by a sprained wrist. The injury is minor and the Rays will not even have it examined. [The Heater]
- 22 of the Rays top prospects will participate this week in a Winter Development Program at the Trop as a way to familiarize them with Joe Maddon, the coaching staff, life in the big leagues and “The Ray Way.” [Tampa Tribune]
- Dock of the Rays takes a closer look at the Rays success on the basepaths. [Dock of the Rays]
- A new restaurant is to be built over the left field wall at Durham Bulls Athletic Park. [Durham Bulls]
- JordiScrubbings compares the readership of a big market blog and a small market blog (this one). It’s about what you would expect. [JordiScrubbings.com]