hangoverJoel Sherman is just speculating, but it is speculation that makes sense…

The other three free-agent [backup outfielder] possibilities, at the moment, are Rocco Baldelli, Jerry Hairston Jr. and Marcus Thames.

Seeing Rocco sign with and play for the Red Sox was tough, but we could forgive it. Afterall, the Rays essentially cut ties with him and he grew up in Red Sox country. But signing with the Yankees would be tough to swallow.

1. SeanDubbs says:

Man’s gotta eat. I lost my Rocco love the second he was no longer a Ray.

2. Brian H says:

Yankee or no yankee I will always root for that guy. just not against the rays.

3. Rome says:

What’s the big deal? The guy will only play 15-20 games for the Yankees, so what?

4. Brian H says:

professor i got a question for you,

when hellickson finally is ready to make the roster, who is your prediction to the be the first pitcher gone. I cant figure it out if davis pitches well.

• If the decision had to be made now, I got my money on Niemann being out of a job. I feel he still needs extra rest too often. But by the time a decision needs to be made, he has a shot to change that perception. Niemann and Davis might spend the first 3-4 months of the season competing for the 4th spot in 2011′s rotation.

5. Gus says:

Rocco’s late 2008 was better than his 2009, when his new medicines should have been kicking in. I’m not sure he’s got much left. Look for him to fill the pr hole next off-season when fan favorites Pena and CC go missing.

6. GatorRaysHead says:

I will always love Rocco. If he manages to steal a few million from the Yankees, more power to him. Its not like he is going to be able to play everyday.

7. Jessica says:

Ugh, this hurts my heart. Even though we are divorced, I still care for him. He needs to go to a likable team in a different division. The Rangers would be good. He looks better in blue anyway. Except last season the Rangers wore red which was just whacked anyway. Yeah, I’m rambling. How long until spring training??