DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Joe Dillionaire is back! The Rays have re-signed Joe Dillon to a minor league deal. They have also added Ryan Shealy, a first baseman. Shealy has played 164 games with the Rockies and Royals in parts of 4 seasons. His last appearance was in 2008 with the Royals when he hit .301/.354/.603 in 20 games with 7 home runs.
- We can finally stop with the “They will!” and “The won’t!” posts concerning the Rays and Milton Bradley. The Cubs have traded Bradley to the Mariners. [The Heater]
- Marc Topkin says the “Player to be Named Later” in the Kelly Shoppach trade will be named today. Topkin says evidence indicates it could be Mitch Talbot, who is out of minor league options. [The Heater]
- Marc Topkin looks at how some recent moves by other teams will affect the Rays…In the same piece, we learn that Gary Sheffield wants to play 2 more years and (of course) finish his career with the Rays… We could see the Rays making a run at Sheffield if they can find a taker for Burrell. Or they could wait until next year. The problem is, the Rays like players at below market value, but Sheffield is a player a team doesn’t want to underpay. There is always the fear that Sheff will play to his level of pay. That is, if he feels he is underpaid, he will underperform. [St. Pete Times]
- Carl Crawford (91) is the only member of the Rays to make Rob Neyer’s list of the top 100 players of the past 10 years. [ESPN]
- Ken Davidoff thinks the Rays and Johnny Damon would be a “marriage” with “real potential,” if the Rays can unload Pat Burrell. [Newsday]