DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- The Rays continue their infatuation with side-arming relief pitchers by signing Joe Bateman and RJ Swindle to minor league deals.
- The Blue Jays are interested in trading for Reid Brignac, but feel the Rays are asking for too much. [MLB Trade Rumors]
- Jon Weber has signed a minor league deal with the Yankees. [Watching Durham Bulls Baseball]
- Bill Chastain writes about the different ways the Rays give back to the community. [MLB]
- Jeff Niemann was not named as part of the Topps MLB Rookie All-Star team. The roster includes just one right-handed pitcher with that spot going to Tommy Hanson of Atlanta. Niemann was 13-6 with a 3.94 ERA while Hanson was 11-4 with a 2.89 ERA. Niemann had a better WAR (3.2 vs 2.6) but Hanson had the better FIP (3.50 vs 4.07). Doesn’t seem like a huge oversight. [The Heater]
- Baseball Digest takes a look at the Rays off-season plans. [Baseball Digest]
- Bill Chastain writes about the work Mitch Talbot is getting in the Arizona Fall League. Mitch Lukevics says it is an opportunity to get Talbot some more innings since he only made 11 starts this season due to injury. Of course, Talbot will be out of minor league options in 2010, so the Rays may either be hoping Talbot can fill a bullpen role or they are showing other teams that Talbot is healthy should the Rays attempt to trade him. [MLB]