The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Mr. Mo Mentum. They say in baseball that momentum is only as good as tomorrow’s starting pitcher. And with the Rays that is the difference between Andy Sonnanstine and Matt Garza. Right now? The Garza Complex is a big league starting pitcher. The Duke is not…Pat Burrell. Pat the Bat may have one of the ugliest swings we have ever seen for a good hitter. It is slow, it is looping, he has terrible balance, kinda like when he runs. And yet he can somehow generate an amazing amount of power. Last night it generated a solo home run and a single in the 8th that grabbed the lead back…Evan Longoria. Dirtbag picked a hell of a time to get hot. In the last4 games he is 8-18 with 2 home runs and 5 driven in…Gregg Zaun. 3 hits including an epic 2-out, 10-pitch duel with Beckett in the 3rd that became an RBI-double.
THE BAD: JP Howell. The Dude once again did not abide, blowing his 8th save, and again doing it on a wild pitch in the 8th inning.
THE TELLING: The Rays are now 5 games behind the Red Sox and 2.5 games behind the Rangers in the Wild Card…The Rays did not attempt a single stolen base last night.
SUNBURST PLAYER OF THE GAME: Pat Burrell.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Wade Davis has been promoted and will officially make his big league debut on Sunday against Detroit. That means Andy Sonnanstine will start one of the games on Monday in Replica Yankee Stadium. After these starts, Joe Maddon will decide who stays in the rotation. [Tampa Tribune]
- John Romano criticizes Joe Maddon’s hypocrisy of being critical of the fans but then turning around and defending the lackluster play of his team. [The Point After]
- Also, in case you missed it, John Romano defended yesterday’s article in our comments section. He makes some fair points and some we don’t agree with, but we will let you decide. [Rays Index]
- A Rays employee was arrested after planting a fake bomb as part of a hoax against some fellow employees. [ABC Action News]
- Gary Shelton writes that Stu Sternberg, the fan, feels the same pain the fans feel. [St. Pete Times]
- 10 Reasons to go to a Rays game in September. [Rays Renegade]
- The Rays Party looks at the Rays infield situation for 2010. [The Rays Party]
- Rob Neyer of ESPN writes that the Rays will be back in the hunt next year. [ESPN]