The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: The Future. With the Rays now officially roadkill, look for JoeMa to start working the youngins into the lineup a bit more often. In addition to Wade Davis and Reid Brignac, we should see Sean Rodriguez and Matt Joyce soon.
THE BAD: The Pain. That’s it. It’s just painful.
THE TELLING: Anything But Perfect. Anybody still think we were overreacting when back in July we wrote after Mark Buehrle’s perfect game, “This incarnation of the Tampa Bay Rays just isn’t very good….One game that proved this team is going nowhere. One game that proved this team is done. One game that proved this team is roadkill.”
SUNBURST PLAYER OF THE GAME: Evan Longoria
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Joe Maddon says losing 2 of 3 to the Red Sox is “not devastating.” In other news, JoeMa says the Titanic still has a shot to reach New York. [St. Pete Times]
- Joe Maddon called a pre-game meeting. The topic? What the team will wear on their upcoming roadtrip. Ahhhh, priorities. [Tampa Tribune]
- BJ Upton sprained his ankle during a collision with Carl Crawford. He is expected to miss a couple of game. [St. Pete Times]
- Reid Brignac was recalled from Durham so that Jason Bartlett won’t have to start both games of the Monday double-header.
- Steve Duemig interviewed Joe Maddon, Jim Hickey, Andrew Friedman and Stuart Sternberg yesterday. Click through for the audio links. [WDAE]
- Jayson Stark of ESPN says the Rays had to move Scott Kazmir at the first decent offer because there was no guarantee that there would be any offers in the off-season, considering there were none in July (of course, Kazmir is a different pitcher now than he was in July, but back to Stark…). He adds that the Rays would like to use the money towards an extension for either Carl Crawford and/or Carlos Pena, but they might not be able to afford either. [ESPN]
- The Top 177 Devil Rays Ever, #40-37. Drumroll please… [Bugs and Cranks]
- Her Rays is still addicted to the Rays. She also notices an certain Hall-of-Famer in Fernando Perez’ new ‘stache. [Her Rays]