THE GOOD: Coulda Been A Contender. From May through August, the Rays were 62-45. Over 162 games that would translate to a 94-win team. The Red Sox have 91 wins with 10 to go.
THE BAD: Coulda Had The Top Pick In Draft, Again. In April and September, the Rays are 16-29. So, at the start and end of the season, the Rays have played like a 104-loss team. the Nats are 52-100 with 10 to go.
THE TELLING: Not So Big Game. Since the all-star break, James Shields has the worst ERA (5.23) and WHIP (1.51) in the American League (min. 75ip).
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Joe Smith writes about Evan Longoria’s strong finish. [St. Pete Times]
- From the “Can’t make it up” department is Ben Zobrist: “Jew or not a Jew.” Of course, Zorilla is the son of a minister, married to a Christian Rock singer, attended Olivet Nazarene University and runs bible studies in the Rays clubhouse with Gabe Gross. And yet, Zobrist ranks a “4″ on the Jew scale. [Jew or not a Jew]
- David Chalk has finally concluded his epic journey through the Top 177 Devil Rays ever with the top 28. [Bugs and Cranks]
- Chad Bradford’s problems may be that he is throwing too many strikes…Knowing that, would you want him back in 2010? [The Rays Party]
- From the department of “It could be worse,” the Pirates had about 3,000 fans attend yesterday’s game. Of course, the 15,892 paid attendance is still better than the Rays last 2 home games. [Deadspin]
- WRAL in Durham interviewed Elliot Johnson after the Bulls championship run. [Watching Durham Bulls Baseball]