Tags

1. GatorRaysHead says:

Lance Cormier. Davis is a stud but he cant pitch Sunday and Monday.

2. Dirtbag Fan says:

They already announced Davis as the sunday starter...

Does ANYONE think that Sonnanstine can win a game in the majors....let alone the NY Yankees....If he does pitch I'm betting a $1,000 on the Yankees..at least I'll have a good day!
    Can't really believe the players don't say something...most of them want to win...... and it must hurt to see that guy go to the mound!

• Dustin says:

Sonny last year:

13-9 in 32 starts with 1 complete-game shutout (4/19/2008 vs. the White Sox); 4.38 ERA; 1.28 WHIP; and a 102 ERA+, which put him a little better than league average. I'm pretty sure there's a pretty straightforward answer to your question: people think Sonnanstine can win games in the majors primarily because he has won games in the majors.

That said, he was much better through June last year than he was after, and this year has been his worst by a lot. I share your apprehension at the prospect of a guy who's giving up almost two homers per nine innings (1.8/9 right now, according to baseball-reference.com) taking the mound in the New Yankee Stadium. Not sure the Rays have a whole lot of options, tho.

• Dirtbag Fan says:

Sonny is a proven major league pitcher. Sadly, his performances this season are dismal to say the least, but history shows that he's a fairly legitimate big league pitcher.

Sidenote:
      He shouldn't be in the rotation though- if it can be avoided.
      I have however done several posts on my blog that show Sonny's numbers the first time through a lineup are really, really good but get quite a bit worse everytime through the lineup (esp. the 3rd time through) which shows that he should most definitely be pitching out of the 'pen.

• Beth says:

Or maybe start him with the assumption that you'll be bringing in someone new by the fifth inning. Not, I guess, a great way to go for a double header.

• Don says:

I know a hog farmer that has a "pen" he can pitch out of...
        Guarantee he will not be on a major league team next year unless some
        losing team can get him for min. of $400,000....meanwhile we have to suffer one more game (loss)......hopefully thats it!