Last night’s attendance was awful. Only 17,692 showed up at the Trop to watch a meaningful game against a hated rival. It was the smallest crowd for a Rays-Sox game in over two years. Is it the economy? Is it the fact that the Rays have shown little life all season? Is it because the Rays traded a key piece for prospects in middle of a pennant race?

We don’t know, but apparently John Romano has a new rule for the Rayshead Army…

New rule: You have to have a ticket stub before you can whine about trading a pitcher with a 5.92 ERA….I’ve got no business telling anyone how to spend their money — particularly in this economy — but it seems at least a little hypocritical to complain about the Rays making payroll decisions when the community is not doing much to hold up its end of the bargain.

We are getting so effin’ sick and tired of hearing this “rule” from fans and commentators.

Listen. There is a difference between those that don’t and those that can’t.

We live over 1,000 miles away. We did not attend last night’s game? Are we not allowed to complain about the timing of the Scott Kazmir trade? What about somebody that has school in the morning or a homework assignment or an exam to study for? What about somebody that was working? Or somebody that lives in North Tampa and has to get up at 6am for a job. Can those people not complain?

And what about the fans that went to 20 games earlier in the year and saw a team that was within shouting distance of the playoffs trade one of their most effective pitchers of the last few weeks for spare parts and decided the team had given up? Maybe the team didn’t give up, but the timing of the trade sure gave that appearance to a lot of people. Why should those fans show up last night?

And what is the rule for other teams? When the Marlins draw 12 people next week, are we not allowed to make fun of them because we did not buy a ticket?

You can’t all of the sudden decide what fans can complain about and what is off limits by whether or not they attended one game in September.

And somehow it is now our fault the Rays traded one of their most effective pitchers of the past month?

Please explain to us how trading Kazmir during a playoff run works better with the budget than trading him after the season.

In the meantime, we have a real good idea what you can do with your new “rule.”

1. Gus says:

Amen.

I made this point in the prior post, but weekday attendance is a direct function of season ticket sales (of which the Rays have little, which is a function of having the worst opening 10 year stretch of any american pro sports franchise). This is why the owners got control of the team for less than the cost of 2 years of A-Rod.

But the bargain you make with fans is a 2-way street. My point here Friday was that ownership was breaking that bargain — that 3.5 games out with a month to go is the second closest we’ve ever been to the playoffs. You can’t light the torch. Maybe the Rays don’t freak out Friday and Sunday and come in off a sweep, 3 games back, red hot. Maybe that draws a few thousand more fans. You don’t know. But management made its decision Friday (contradicting earlier statements that they wouldn’t dump payroll so long as they are in the race). It should be held accountable, and this nonsense about the fans drives me crazy.

These guys are making a healthy profit off the franchise, which is still in the bottom 5 or 6 of payroll in MLB. Stop blaming regular people and point the finger at the millionaire in Rye where it belongs.

• Jim Jones says:

For someone who takes baseball pretty seriously and a recent Boston transplant( lifelong redsox fan) I agree that you really cant blame the fans for the poor attendance. For a Baseball team, you really need the stadium to be in the city to get a consistent turnout, plain and simple. Gillete stadium where the patriots play is a good 30 miles southwest of Boston, people will make the trip for 18 games, I do not believe for a second they would do the same for 186 games regaurdless of how well the team is playing.
      Secondly, I am by no means a timid person and there is nothing wrong with being supportive of your team but some of the bullshit i saw during the alcs in that stadium last year will keep me from going back and giving money to the franchise. Theres no need for grown men to scream obsceneties at children or for me to have to physically defend myself over a baseball game. Its a sporting event you are not “defending your turf” so grow the fuck up. I never saw anything close in all my years going to Yankee stadium in my BoSox Jersey. For a Struggling franchise you can really use all the fan turnout you can get, the Salt Lake City Rays does have a nice ring to it.

P.S. Loose the friggin cowbells, the are obnoxious and Hackish

• “Theres no need for grown men to scream obsceneties at children or for me to have to physically defend myself over a baseball game. Its a sporting event you are not “defending your turf” so grow the fuck up. I never saw anything close in all my years going to Yankee stadium in my BoSox Jersey.”

This has got to be sarcasm. i mean really bad sarcasm. As somebody who has lived in Boston (2 years) and lived in New York (8 years) and been to more Yankees-Red Sox games than I can count, this is the most absurd homerism statement I have ever read. i mean it borders on pure idiocy. Yankees-Red Sox are nothing but drunken brawls in the stands. And screaming obscenities? To think that doesn’t happen in Boston and New York is just laughable.

And why is it that the fights and obscenities only happen when the Red Sox and their Pink Hat Nation show up? And yet when I go to Fenway and Yankee Stadium it doesn’t matter who the opponent is? Sure it is worse when they play each other, but that shit happens EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. What is the common factor. Your drunk belligerent ass. So please, do us ALL a favor and go the fuck back to Boston. We don’t want your ass in our stadium, you shit for brains hack.

• Beth says:

OK, let’s all tone it down a bit…..I’ve been to many games in many stadiums, and loutish behavior seems to blessedly uncommon (e.g. most fans are pretty well-behaved) but nonetheless in evidence everywhere. The common denominator I find is that the louts are male and drunk — I think testosterone and alcohol, more than the color of the cap you are wearing, best predicts rude behavior.

But that said….it is mighty rich, Mr. Jones, for you to complain about the behavior of Tampa Bay fans, when in fact, as the Prof has noted, these problems only seem to arise when the Red Sox are in town.You say you’ve never seen these problems in Yankee stadium — well, mabye it’s just the New Englanders who have relocated to Florida who are such pills, then.

Also, for a guy who claims to be serious about baseball, you don’t seem to know how many home games there are in a season. Nor can you spell “lose.” And as others have noted elsewhere — we hate the cowbells, too, but as long as they annoy Red Sox fans we’re bringing them.

2. Rayhawk says:

When was the last last time John R bought an effin ticket to a game, gimmie a break. And who voted them “one of the top 10 sports sections in the country’?????? I dont see a published list or them say what entity voted for them, sounds like shameless propaganda from a not so good paper…

3. Good post, Cork. I’ll be busy promoting it all over Rays Fandom today.

The Rays are still trying to put the cart before the horse. The fact of the matter is that this team has had 2 seasons of winning baseball in its entire history… both in the middle of a recession. And they took a salary dump on the fans in the 2nd one. Yet, here’s a guy with the audacity to say it’s the “fans fault” the Rays dumped Kazmir.

4. RJ says:

I guess all the fans in Boston and New York live within walking distance of the ballpark and none of them have school in the morning or exams to study for. And none of them work either. Simple fact is that the Tampa fans – in general – are bandwagon jumpers. Sooner you face that fact the better.

See you next year Chumps.

• Actually yes. Those areas have a lot more fans that are able. There just aren’t any people in downtown st. Pete. In a post earlier today I said the Rays can’t get out of st. Pete fast enough. And all teams have bandwagon fans. Go look up RedSox and Yankees attendance back in the 80s when they sucked.

As for this post, I said there was a difference between those that don’t and those that can’t. If you want to say those that can but don’t should shut up, I am fine with that. It is like voting. You can’t just lay a blanket stmt saying those that don’t vote can’t complain. Not everybody is able to vote (under 18) or it is very difficult (hourly worker supporting a family).

• Carey says:

New York has, at least, 2 million people within walking distance. Both NY and Boston have established, massive rapid transit solutions for those who aren’t (or are just too lazy to walk a couple miles). Both have been around for over or close to 100 years and have rich traditions (one for lovable losing, the other for winning). Only a complete fucking clueless idiot would compare St. Pete to those two with a straight face. Take that for what it is. . . Chump!

• Beth says:

Carey, point well taken…but 2 million people in walking distance of Yankee Stadium? I don’t think this is close to accurate, and begs the question of whether people would actually want to walk through Harlem and the South Bronx to get there….Many people use public transit to go to Yankee Stadium — you could probably use your fingers to count the number of people who walk there from home.

Fenway Park is a different matter.

And your larger point stands….put a stadium in a real population center, make it accessible, and people will come more often.

• Gus says:

But you’ve identified the problem Beth — Tampa Bay’s population center is underwater at the hump of the Howard Franklin. It is too spread out to replicate a NE model. If you move it to Hillsborough, you allienate the 1.0 Million in Pinellas. If you keep it in Pinellas, you allienate the 1.0M in Hillsborough. Stadium location isn’t ideal, but my point is that Tampa Bay doesn’t have an ideal location anywhere. They need to build a winning product. This won’t happen overnight, and even if they draw an extra million people in downtown Tampa (speculative at best), at $20 average ticket cost, you are talking $20M extra revenue, and you are looking at at least that much in extra debt service to finance a $400M stadium. So the Rays financially are better of staying where they are with a dirt cheap lease and mostly paid for stadium and trying to build their season ticket base. The Kazmir trade may help them do in the long run, but it will not help 2010 season ticket sales and will not help remaining single game 2009 sales.

• This is why the biggest reason there isn’t more talk about the Rays moving to another market. None of those potential cities have a baseball-ready stadium*. If they did, Rays might move there tomorrow.

*not sure about San Antonio. They might be able to modify the Alamodome. Having been there a couple of times my feeling is it wouldn’t be ideal but might work for a few years.

• Carey says:

3 million combined in Bronx and Manhattan. 8 million in the overall NY area. Can’t vouch for the safety of the walk, but if 5 miles is the standard for walking distance, I think 2M is a pretty safe estimate of those within walking distance.

The entire Tampa Bay area isn’t as large as those two burroughs combined.

And, yes, RJ is still a dumbass for making that comparison.

• Beth says:

Well, I guess that’s why we come up with different numbers — I never would have thought of “5 miles” as a reasonable definition of “walking distance.”

• Brian says:

Fenway is more of a museum than a ballpark. I moved to Chicago from Florida about 5 years ago and every time my friends come to town in the summer, what is the first request they make??? Deep dish pizza – no, Sears Tower – no, guess what it is….Wrigley Field. They could care less about the Cubs but they always want to head to Wrigley. Fenway is the same. More than half of the fans at Fenway don’t even know the lineup that evening. Mass transit also helps a TON! Who wants to drive over the Howard Franklin after having 7 beers at the game. Fans in Boston and NY can hop a train, bus, or taxi. I agree with Cork, the Rays can’t move out of St. Pete fast enough. Put them in Tampa. “If you build it, they will come.” Also, I am as die hard as they come and trust me when I say the Rays Army is growing.

5. Beth says:

I have mixed feelings about this argument. One the one hand, I agree with Cork that Romano’s column is ridiculous. I also hate the constant drum beat of criticism about attendance that we have heard all season long from the ownership and even from Maddon. Attacking your audience is hardly a good marketing strategy!!

On the other hand — the idea that the Rays have to be clearly in line for a post-season berth to get fannies in the seats isn’t right, either. If the only teams that could draw 20,000 fans on a weeknight were the 4-6 in each league destined to win the division or the wild card, then baseball would be doomed. Sure, you’ll get more people if you are clearly in the hunt, but a team can’t survive if fans ONLY come in the years they are headed to the playoffs.

The Rays’ season has been a disappointment for fans lifted by last year’s success, but it’s hardly been a disaster. They’d be leading the AL Central if they played there, and unless there’s a terrible September swoon they ought to finish well over .500. They were contenders until, probably, last week. If that’s not enough to draw fans to the stadium, then we probably can’t sustain baseball here over the long run. As a small market team we are not going to field a division leader every year.

6. Sam A says:

I found the reference to Kazmir’s ERA mildly amusing given that the guy who replaced him (Sonny) looks even worse using that measure.

I can understand that the Rays management/ownership is upset by the poor attendance. But teams depend on fans to be overemotional about sports. Why else would we spend so much of our time watching grown men play a game? Now is not the time to bitch at the fans who have every right to be upset about the trade of a key player.

7. Nate says:

There are certain facts of life about baseball fandom in the middle/smaller markets. Owners and presidents of baseball operations are going to make budget minded decisions. The fans will not take kindly to these decisions. IF you are going to throw your support behind one of these teams, this is a fact that you must face one day. There are a multitude of things you could argue against these facts, whether you have evidence to support it or not. But regardless these things are going to happen to the Rays and Reds of the world. It is certainly damning that we trade a previously crowned staff ace while 3.5 games back (ask White Sox fans about the white flag trade from the mid 90s). But last season changed things. You can’t erase 10 years of poor baseball, but last season changed our landscape, and suddenly to the common man, being 3.5 games back looks bad compared to sitting on top of the division last year. Our bandwagon (every team has one and needs it to sustain itself, another fact of life…those sold out stadiums aren’t filled by die hards) needs to understand that this sort of thing is going to happen to us. Similarly, I think Romano needs to understand that people can complain about whatever they want, because complaining feels good when things aren’t going right.

I don’t think the fans are complaining much!!!….I would love to see the Boston or New York fans if they were watching the performance we have been watching lately, they would want to trade everyone…. and hang Maddon on the nearest tree (be tough to find in those cities)……
    Look…IF Rays increase attendance again this year and dump some of these over payed players..management will happy… believe me…
    the media have to write boarder line stupid articles to fill space!!
    Rays new battle cry….Wait till next year!!! (effective 09-02-09)

9. Carey says:

Quote: “And what about the fans that watched the game on TV even though they couldn’t attend the game? Don’t the Rays receive revenue from the broadcast rights? Are those fans not allowed to complain?”

This is the part that (annoyingly) never gets talked about. If the Rays aren’t making a lot more money off TV, then the RFO are not the savvy business people people say they are. Everyone I know watches the games. Every bar I go to has the games on.

Don’t the Yankees make more off YES than they do ticket sales? I think I’ve heard that somewhere. The Rays should be getting a lot more from FOX after last year. And, if they’re not, then maybe they should look to partner with a BrightHouse, ESPN, etc. and create a new network.

10. Jeff Arp says:

I did have a ticket to the game but it went unused. I was working last night. Do I still get to complain even though I wasn’t at the game? I work tonight and I work Thursday night. I do have Friday off and plan to be at the game. I guess I’ll save my complaining for then.

11. GS says:

Romano can suck it. Where was I? @home watching it and licking my wounds and my unemployment chk..Wr was I for 16 games this yr? In rt. field spending my entire disposable income on a team that was in a playoff race (kind of). When the front office gave up I did too. I dont need to support them if they arent supporting the run to sell their own tickets and get a return on their investment in OCT…See ya next yr.

• Rayhawk says:

thats why my wife and I havent gone to any this year. Im unemployed and we are cutting back. havent missed a tv game, and picked up radio on the few that weren’t televised. I think im just as big a fan but get the H out of st. pete.

12. Beth says:

But then, Gus, we’re kind of in a bind, aren’t we? Because really the Rays have built a winning team — they won the pennant last year and will having a winning record this year. So if that’s the main key to boosting attendance, why aren’t they drawing more fans now? As I wrote earlier below, if fans are only coming in years we are world series-bound, we will not have a team for long.

• Gus says:

Attendance is up 8% in the midst of a killer recession and an ownership group that doesn’t know what it wants in a stadium and is rattling sabres instead of building long-term bonds with its fans. That is good attendance despite what Romano cherry picks on an election night in September after the owners have given up. TV ratings are up — again very good. Rome wasn’t built in a day. They are making plenty of money off of this season’s $66M payroll. I’d say it is safe to say that net profit on th Rays the last 3 years exceeds the $65M Sternberg’s group invested in the team (they have to share with the other partners, but they are definitely clearing $20M a year as a group). That is a nice return, and percentage-wise is probably unmmatched in all of MLB this decade.

So the question really is how much profit is enough? Do they really care about alienating fans in the short run? As I said earlier — I’m no Kazmir fan and would have never given him that contract last year when he already was a tender arm. But trading him now is a pr hit. Live with it. Don’t spin on the fans. And why John and the other SP Times people do that and don’t ask Stu the question: how much profit is enough? That is a reasonable question. He should get a return. The amount of the return is a fair question when you are asking for public money and/or public land.

Again, in defense of the Tampa Bay fan. You wait forever to get a team, and you get the worst 10 years in professional sports history. The you get a 2008 team that plays great, you get behind it, and then the stadium, the city, the entire market stinks according to a bunch of out of towners. How do you expect that to play, yankee? They came to this nuisance. They bought the team for a mere $65M because it had killed its local fan base and had a mediocre stadium situation. They have to build it back up and they should keep doing that, instead of taking counterproductive measures (stadium kavetching and fire-saling) that will undermine baseball in the market.

• Beth says:

I think your question, “how much profit is enough?” is key here — and not just for the Rays management, but for baseball ownership in general — I don’t think the Rays owners are more greedy than the others (and as for their being out of towners — well, if we had the kind of wealth in this region that would allow for decent local ownership, we’d probably have more people who could afford tickets, too. Right?)

Baseball, and all professional sports, operate in this odd realm of being a kind of civic asset, part of local identity — but then also being a business. Owners tend to play both sides of this equation as it suits them — they are a civic asset when they are seeking tax payer support of their stadiums, but they are private businesses when it comes to preserving their bottom line.

The only way small market teams can survive in this picture is if a league adopts more significant revenue sharing (although that may just line the pockets of small market owners — no obligation that they invest the revenue sharing proceeds in the team!); salary caps (which have their own problems) or Green Bay Packer style ownership, where community residents own shares and the profit is no longer an issue. I’d vote for the third alternative, but then I also support a public option for healthcare!

13. John Romano says:

Part of my job is to be critical when I think it is necessary (I wanted to have business cards that said I was a professional smartass, but the boss didn’t feel that was appropriate) so I have accepted that one of my occupational hazards is being criticized myself. I’ve got no problem with anyone who thinks I’m A) wrong, B) stupid, C) short and tubby, because I have been all of those things in my life. In this case, I would just like to point out that the no-criticism-without-a-ticket-stub line was hyperbole. The point I was trying to make (and I did this a few sentences later) was that it is unfair to blast ownership for payroll issues when this team still draws in the bottom third of the league. And that point was never more clear than a September game against the Red Sox with the wild card on the line. I’ve got no right to tell anyone how to spend their money (which was another point I made in the column) and neither does Stu Sternberg. But I do think it is my job to explain that a team with consistently poor attendance is not going to be able to sustain a competitive payroll. And, at some point, it is going to lead to questions about the viability of the market. I would be completely amiss in my job if I did not make those points. As for the ticket-stub line, I thought it was an effective way to get the point across. Some folks obviously disagree. So perhaps I was wrong. Or stupid. Or short and tubby.

• Gus says:

John: You wrote: “And that point was never more clear than a September game against the Red Sox with the wild card on the line.”

Actually,the point wasn’t clear at all last night. The wild card wasn’t on the line (the Rays had tanked to 5 games back after management traded Kazmir and itself gave up on the season), a terrible AAA pitcher was being promoted to take his place and the game meant very little, especially given the disparate pitching match up.

The Rays’ season ticket equivalent is somewhere around 10,000 and they don’t draw well on week nights; BoSox fans probably bought 5,000 tickets and the rest were probably advanced purchased. I am sure walk up was under 1,000. But if you hadn’t already bought your ticket in advance, no sane fan would have gone last night. If nothing else to show dissatisfaction with Sonny pitching with whatever chances for the season on the line. To make a point about attendance — this wasn’t the right night to do that.

• Matt C says:

The timing of Ramano’s column was dead-on. No better night to point out than a game between wild card contenders that would be assumed in most baseball markets to be a sellout or nearly so. Criticize the Kazmir move if you want to, and as fans we have every right to, but a “Sonnanstine boycott” or whatever? Come on. 17,000 is disgraceful and pathetic, and is just one step above Maddon criticizing the fans after such a dreadful performance two nights ago.

14. John Romano says:

Oops, forgot one other thing. There was some comment about trading Kazmir in the off-season. The Rays could have done that but, from the conversations I’ve had, there is no guarantee they would have gotten the same type of prospects and there was a chance they would have had to pick up a good portion of the $22.5-million owed to Kaz. The reason they pulled the trigger when they did is because Kaz was coming off two good starts (which may not have been the case if they let him pitch another month) and because the Angels were motivated for the postseason. I wrote at the time that the trade stinks for this season and you can’t spin it any other way, but I at least understand the thought process behind it.

15. CharlieRay says:

Say what you want but “No ticket sales– No money- Trade expensive players and play with up and coming stars until they cost and then sell them.” I am a season ticket holder for 5 years and was embarrassed last night with 17,000 fans and at least half were BOS RED. You tell me that we can’t put more fans that 8,000 rays in the stands during a pennant race. BS Stop gripping and buy a ticket in the 300 level for only $16 prime or $10 regular. I would bet half the cry babies did not even watch the game..

16. david says:

the next paragraph says it all…

“I know it’s the middle of the week, but the Phillies still managed to draw 44,679 on a Tuesday night. The last-place Orioles got more than 25,000. And the Tigers — playing a terrible Cleveland team — still got more than 24,000.”

• Dirtbag Fan says:

…and the economy in both Cleveland and Detroit is far worse than Tampa could even imagine.

Low attendance in a game of that importance was unacceptable, but the players’ lack of consistent heart coupled with the Kaz trade has got even seasoned fans kind of on-edge.

And lets not forgget those like Mrs DirtbagFan who have begun to turn their attention more toward the NFL (I’ll never understand how she can be so in tune with the MLB all season and right as the playoff push starts warming-up she switches her allegiance to football… i guess she can’t split her attention like me, but I digress.)

• Beth says:

True, and good points….but both Phillies and TIgers about to win their divisions….Orioles played the Yankees, and Yankees draw everywhere. Check out Orioles midweek attendance on other dates! So this is a somewhat selective comparison.

• Gus says:

The best franchise comp to the Rays is Texas. No tradition of winning. Worn down fan base. Stadium in the middle of the metroplex, not close to either downtown Dallas or Ft. Worth. About the same record this year. They are what the Rays need to compare themselves to. I haven’t looked lately, but I did think in their Boston series the Rays outdrew them on the same day. But again, I don’t see the Rangers owner dumping bodies overboard to save $.

17. Dirtbag Fan says:

hmm…
    same song different verse.

ob-la-di, ob-la-da…

18. CharlieRay says:

Anybody going to the game. Seats still available for just $16 That’s only 2 drinks at the bar or 2 packs of cigarettes. We need your help

19. Joel says:

Stop comparing Tampa to New York or Boston as baseball cities. Just stop it. You can compare them economically, logistically, geographically, demographically… they’re not the same place. I don’t care if Steinbrenner buys Manhattan and turns it into a giant stadium with 1 million seats and they sellout on a Tuesday against a team of Moose Lodge members. Just stop it.

Don’t even compare Tampa to Detroit or Cleveland. Yes, their economies make ours look like the Venetian Empire; but they are still much more similar to NY and Boston as baseball cities than Tampa.

As far as I’m concerned the only baseball towns that could reasonably be compared to Tampa are Miami and Phoenix. They have new franchises without anything like tradition. Their median incomes are much closer than to Tampa than anything in the NE. They are sprawled out with anything like a dense population center. They’re chock-full of transplants from other cities with their own prior allegiances.

The Diamondbacks’ average attendance for this year is roughly 2000 more than the Rays; I’ll chalk that difference up to the downtown Phoenix location (hint hint). You don’t want to know what the Marlins’ average attendance is.

By the way, our attendance is higher than 8 other teams this year. With the exception of the Washington Expos, none of the teams below us have had a team in that city less time than Tampa Bay. So as far as developing a fanbase, we’re still doing okay. One World Series run is not going to turn Tampa Bay into Rays Nation.

• Joel says:

And yes, I’m aware that there are a couple of typos in there. I thought I’d point them out myself just in case anyone wants to automatically refute anything I have to say just because of typos.

20. John says:

Cork, this was beautiful. Really. I had tears in my eyes reading it, and I’m only half kidding. Hit on every emotion I was feeling.

Romano, it’s not that you were wrong. It’s really hard to argue with most of the column. (Except the comparing us to markets that do not resemble Tampa Bay, but that’s a minor fault.) It’s that (like the Kazmir trade) your timing is awful. A week after the front office MADE THE TEAM WORSE FOR THE PLAYOFF RUN, our boys took a big league sized dump on the last real (or even wishful thinking) shot at October. Then we listen to the post-game, and Joe is happy about the effort, happy with Sonny, happy with everybody it seems, except of course the crowd. He was a little disappointed in the turnout.

And then we open up the paper in the morning, and even the sportswriters think this is OUR FAULT??? WTF???

21. Brian H says:

I got to say i am pretty impressed with Romano coming on and defending his point. Kudos to Romanos itialian grill!

22. I’m totally hooked on Sonny with a chance, Chad is my favorite on the show! Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed reading it!