From time to time we are going to take a look at the 2009 attendance and see how the 2009 season stacks up against last year and whether the Rays can reach their goal of being average (in attendance).
Notes on the attendance follow the graph…
Notes on the 2009 attendance…
- The Rays drew 1.8 million fans in 2008. That was the most since their inaugural season of 1998 when they drew 2.5 million.
- The Rays goal for 2009 is league average which was 2.6 million in 2008 (the median was about 2.5 million). While attendance has been down most of the season, the league average has picked up recently. League average projects to be slightly less than 2.5 million (red line above) with a median of 2.3 million. The Rays would need to average 30,646 to reach league average and about 29,010 to reach the median.
- Last year the Rays averaged 22,370 over 81 games. After 54 home games last year they were averaging 21,581.
- This year the Rays are averaging 24,169, an increase of 12.0% over the same period last year.
- The Rays average attendance actually fell after that latest homestand. They averaged only 23,406 over the last 9 games including 3 games with attendance figures below 20,000.
- The Rays fell one spot and now are ranked 23rd in attendance.
- The Rays are on pace for 1.96 million, which would be a 8.0% increase over last season.