The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Jeff Niemann. He came a little unhinged in the 7th, but that was only after retiring 17 of 18 batters prior to the 7th. He struck out 5 and walked only 1 and was failed by the bullpen…Pat Burrell. He was only 1-5, but the 1 was a massive upper-deck home run and one of the other 4 was an RBI groundout…Red Sox Fail. A-Rod hit a walk-off HR in the 312th inning last night and the Yankees have now taken the first 2 games of that series. And while the Red Sox still lead the Wild Card, most in Red Sox Nation think their season is over.
THE BAD: The Bullpen. Grant Balfour faced 2 batters, giving up a single and hitting a batter. Brian Shouse faced 2 batters. 1 singled. And JP Howell. Well, Howell grooved a pitch. The Dude usually abides. But last night he did not.
THE TELLING: The chance of winning the division is almost all but gone with the Rays now 7 games behind the Yankees. The Rays remain 2.5 behind the Red Sox and 1.5 behind the Rangers in the Wild Card.
SUNBURST PLAYER OF THE GAME: Carl Crawford.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Michel Hernandez was designated for assignment to make room for the addition of Gregg Zaun. [The Heater]
- If you haven’t seen Gregg Zaun’s website yet, please do so. This is going to be fun. [GreggZaun.com]
- Marc Topkin has some quotes from Andrew Friedman on the acquisition of Gregg Zaun, saying Zaun will play “a fair amount.” That is good, because it sounds like Zaun was an unhappy camper in Baltimore after Matt Weiters was called up and took most of Zaun’s playing time. [The Heater]
- Joe Maddon said that bringing in Gregg Zaun was not intended to “light a fire” under Dioner Navarro…Also, Pat Burrell will continue to be the most-days DH. [Tampa Tribune]
- Last year the Rays received Chad Bradford from the O’s for a Player to be Named Later. Well, the “player” turned out to just be $20K cash. Peter Schmuck says that this time the O’s will receive a prospect from the Rays. [Baltimore Sun]
- The Rays also picked up RJ Swindle off waivers from the Brewers. Best we can tell, he is the next coming of Casey Fossum, but he does have a minor league option. To make room, the Rays designated John Meloan for assignment. [St. Pete Times]
- Rays Revolutionary says 36 more wins for the Rays should get them to the playoffs. [Rays Revolutionary]
- Dock of the Rays takes a look at some of Andy Sonnanstine’s trends and what can be expected down the road. [Dock of the Rays]
- The On Deck Circle takes a closer look at Ben Zobrist’s breakout season and whether or not he can keep it up. [The On Deck Circle]