Tags

1. Rayhawk says:

A switch hitter with real speed, and had a very good spring, except for the wrist. I can tell he wants back in bad. I kie the kid, let him loose. maybe a way to give BJ a week of downtime...;o)

2. Charles says:

I wanna see what Joyce can do. With all the times we've seen people get on base and get stranded, I want an RBI-type guy more than I want a speed-type guy. Ideally, Jennings will win an outfield job in the spring, but I see no need to bring him up just yet.

3. Brixology says:

I have to think that Perez and Joyce will both be up, but, if you're choosing one, you choose the solid pinch running option. We have missed a speedy presence on the bench.

4. Beth says:

I fell in love with Perez when he scored the winning run of the ALCS second game on a BJ Upton "sac fly" that was only slightly deeper than a pop-up. I don't think Perez will ever be a starting outfielder -- I'm not not convinced his hitting is good enough -- but I'd love to see spot-starting and pinch running.

• Dirtbag Fan says:

If the Rays move CC in the offseason it is more than possible to see Joyce and Perez have opportunities to earn starting OF positions for the 2010 campaign.

In fact its not out of the realm of possibility to see next year's opening day outfield as Perez (LF), Upton (CF), Joyce (RF)... plus there's always Jennings who's shown that he's the real deal too... and of course if Aki is still around then Zobrist will have a fair shot at an outfield slot as well (even though we know Maddon likes him best out of the utility role (me too)).

Any way you slice it you've gotta love a team that has too many options to choose from.

5. Dirtbag Fan says:

No way the Rays only bring up 1, but Perez is more valuable off the bench in terms of pinch running for Burrell or some other "slower" player.

6. Chris says:

Of course you left off Jon Weber, and I'll have to mention his name, even though there's a rumor afoot that he may be going to Team USA for the "World Cup". He's got the best numbers. Joyce, Perez, and Ruggiano are on the 40-man, but Perez is having real problems with righties, so far; Ruggiano isn't having a good year at all, so you're left with Joyce.

No vote, however, holding out for Weber.

• Beth says:

Perez has only had maybe 20 ABs since he's started his rehab assignment -- can you really say he's struggling against righties based on so short a period? I'm not saying he's a great hitter...I'm just questioning whether much can be concluded about his abilities based on a handful of at-bats.

• DRR says:

Numbers aside, Perez just looks bad against righties. I am not going to quote numbers, but I can't believe he feels comfortable against righties based on the way he looks up there.