[Update] Marc Topkin says deal is indeed for a PTBNL. The Rays DFA’d minor leaguer John Meloan to make room. Sounds like Zaun will not be added to the 25-man roster until tomorrow.

[Update] Orioles press release confirms trade. Still no indication who O’s will receive. Likely a player to be named later.

The Rays now have 6 catchers on their 40-man roster, including Dioner Navarro, Michel Hernandez, Shawn Riggans, John Jaso and Jose Lobaton, unless one is dropped to make room for Zaun.

[1:56pm] We are not familiar with “The Rob Long Show”, and we are not sure what a “breaking source” is, but both are reporting that the Rays have traded for veteran catcher Gregg Zaun.

Zaun, 38, is a 15-year veteran that is hitting .244/.355/.375 with 4 home runs in 56 games for the Orioles. He has thrown out 10 of 39 would-be base stealers.

1. DRR says:

How many catchers do the Rays need in their system?

2. Isn't it Gregg not Greg?

3. This is a GREAT pickup, he's experienced, good defensively, and KNOWS how to handle a young staff. Some will laugh at this, but I'd drop Jaso AND either Jaso or Lobaton. Zaun and Hernandez would then be my catchers.

4. Blake says:

My guess is Riggans to the 60 Day DL to clear the space on the 40-man.

5. Dirtbag Fan says:

just what the rays needed, a cather who's not great standing next to the plate, and stinks at at throwing-out runners from behind it...

• Amanda says:

And if those were the only two things you judge a catcher by, it would be bad. But catchers MUST be able to call a game and have good rapport with the pitching staff. You know, something that doesn't show up in the stat sheets. And right now, we have a catcher that doesn't seem to be able to get along with anyone.

6. Andrew says:

DF: I think you're forgetting that catchers, by and large, can't hit. Here, go look at batting stats by catchers --

--and tell me who the Rays could have gotten that's better than Zaun? Particularly for nobody?

7. Andrew says:

And holy crap:

• Amanda says:

According to greggzaun.com, he's Rick Dempsey's nephew. That makes him totally awesome in my book! LOL :)

8. Myrna says:

If Navarro was any good, we wouldn't have been looking for a catcher! He's only good at throwing shaving cream pies and he misses those most of the time!

9. bobrittner says:

Zaun does a number of things well, one of which is that he walks a lot. He also does not strike out much and is considered a good handler of pitchers as well as a good defensive catcher. He is a career backup for a reason, but he is good in that role.

One more thing. The Rays also picked up R.J. Swindle, a lefty reliever who seems to have a lot of talent. His minor league numbers are outstanding, lots of Ks and few walks. He also has not given up many home runs in the minors. He has been terrible in the majors, but that is in just 11.1 innings so it is hardly meaningful.

I was surprised that Meloan was DFAed to make room on the 40 man roster. I wonder if they will be able to keep him.

• Scot, now becoming an long time reader says:

I will second Bob's comments on Zaun - a quality pickup as he is a clear step up as a batter from the current Rays' catchers. And he is a switch hitter. Navi appears to be the better defender, though.

Swindle is a bit strange - his numbers do look good in the minors and he has a had almost no time in the majors, but he appears to have been dropped by both the Phillies and Brewers. What does one read into this?

I guess no one in this world sees what me and K Kennedy sees....
    M Hernandez is a GOOD defensive catcher plus a decent hitter../
    probably .250 + if he was playing everyday...
    But sign a bunch of washed up catchers and send Hernandez packing ....am I the only one that sees this bull shitt....Oh well!
    ASk the pitchers on the Rays who they like...

• Myrna says:

I am a big fan of Hernandez and would have been delighted if Navarro had been sent packing. I'm sure it's about the contract because I have heard he is not very popular as well. I'm with you on this one!

11. KillaTapes says:

Remember that walk-off slam Zaun hit off Percy last year? Hurts just thinking about it. I think he will be a good mentor for this team, he's a proven leader for young pitchers.