Time to bring back the GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Ben Zobrist. Remember that mini-slump that Bruce Banner was in last week? Yeah, not so much anymore. Zorilla awoke with 3 hits and a walk, inlcuding a go-ahead 3-run home run in the 4th inning and the walk-off single in the 9th…Upton’s Mad Dash. Stealing home is the most exciting 2 seconds in baseball and Upton did it last night for the 3rd time in his career. This time he broke on a pickoff throw to first base…Pat Burrell. Did the walk-off home run 2 nights ago wake him up? 2 more hits last night, including a double suggest it might have…Deep Lineup. The Rays 6-9 batters went a combined 9-16 with 3 walks…Deep Patience. The offense had been struggling, but 6 walks on Tuesday and 8 walks last night suggests that they weren’t pressing. And as long as this team doesn’t expand the strike zone, they will be fine. There is just too much talent.
THE BAD: Scott Kazmir. There were some good signs last night. He worked into the 7th for just the 3rd time this season. He had a 7-pitch inning. He seemed to be throwing his slider with confidence. But he gave up 9 hits, including 2 home runs…Grant Balfour. He had been much better recently even if his velocity is not all the way back. But last night he allowed 1 inherited runner to score and then gave up 2 more of his own to allow the Jays to tie the game in the 7th.
THE TELLING: The Rays are now 17-13 against the AL East. The Red Sox are the only other team with a winning record (22-9) in the division…
SUNBURST PLAYER OF THE GAME: Ben Zobrist.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- BJ Upton’s steal of home was not spontaneous. It was planned. Upton and Tom Foley came up with the idea, something Joe Maddon knew nothing about. [St. Pete Times]
- We have a noon game today and it is David Price versus Roy Halladay and Joe Maddon would like to see Price take a step back and simplify things. [Tampa Tribune]
- Brian Shouse will throw a simulated game on Friday. [The Heater]
- Still think the Rays can’t hit lefties? Based on the number of lefties opposing managers keep sending out against the Rays, they still believe it. Well, let’s hope they don’t read Dock of the Rays. [Dock of the Rays]
- Rays All Day makes a case for the Rays pursuing Victor Martinez…We would never say no to Martinez, but we think the Rays fancy Jeff Clement. [Rays All Day]
- The Rays Party takes a look at Ben Zobrist’s hit chart from last night and sees maybe the next Chipper Jones. [The Rays Party]