The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Playing the Game the Right Way. On Monday, Evan Longoria was hit by a pitch. Last night in the 3rd inning, Joba Chamberlain sailed a ball at Evan’s head. It missed. In the 5th inning Matt Garza plunked Mark Teixeira. No bench-clearing brawl. No yelling from the dugouts. And that was the end of it…Evan Longoria. Dirtbag homered for the 5th time in 16 games. Of course it was in the 9th inning with the score 6-0, but at least somebody did something.
THE BAD: Big Mouth. Sticking up for your players is great, but keep your damn mouth shut. Everybody knows Matt Garza hit Mark Teixeira on purpose. Garza doesn’t need to spout off about it after the game. Because now it is going to cost him his next start because the league will have no choice but to suspend him. JUST. SHUT. UP!…Pat Burrell. Pat the Rally Killer left 2 more runners on base and went 0-4 with 3 strikeouts. And yes, we are now officially picking on Burrell. Sue us. He deserves it…Uniting Yankees Fans. For a while now, Yankees fans have been divided into two camps. Those that think Joba Chamberlain is a starting pitcher. And those that think he should be Mo Rivera’s set-up guy and closer-in-waiting. Last night he was both a starter and an 8th inning guy. Way to go Rays. Way to make him work. This was a guy that entered the game giving up about 1.4 baserunners per inning and the Rays could only muster 5 in 8 innings. If that had been a good pitcher, they might have been perfected again.
THE TELLING: PECOTA now says the Rays playoff chances are 11.4% and falling.
SUNBURST PLAYER OF THE GAME: Evan Longoria
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Shawn Riggans was activated from the DL and optioned to triple-A Durham. [The Heater]
- Both Aki Iwamura and Fernando Perez took BP prior to the game and Joe Maddon thinks both could be ready to play in August. [St. Pete Times]
- There was a GEICO Caveman at the Trop last night in a Rays jersey. He mingled with players and coaches before the game and at one point he ran on to the the field and attacked a GEICO sign. We can only assume they were filming a commercial. The good people of Rays Renegade snapped a few pics, HERE, HERE and HERE.
- Just when you thought the Rays were out, Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi pull them back in! Word now is that the Rays have not given up on trading for Roy Halladay and instead of trading away a reliever or two, they may be thinking about acquiring one. Of course, all of this was before last night’s game. [Fox Sports]
- And Jon Heyman says the Indians are intent on moving Victor Martinez and the Rays and Red Sox are in the mix. [Twitter]
- Meanwhile, Joe Maddon says he wouldn’t be surprised if nothing happened. [The Heater]
- And John Romano points out that the Rays already made their big acquisition. His name is Pat Burrell and the Rays are stuck with him. [St. Pete Times]
- Tony Fabrizio notes the the defense has been less than stellar this season. [Tampa Tribune]
- Separated at Birth: Dewayne Staats and Tony Clifton? [Bugs and Cranks]
- Who knew? Joba Chamberlain’s first name is an acronym. [Her Rays!]
- Look who gets all the toys. This time it is the Scott Kazmir bobblehead. It must be good to know people. Wait. We know people. Where in the H-E-Double Hockey Sticks is our bobblehead?!? [Rays Revolutionary]