The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Pat Burrell. Hey! He hit a home run! Of course it came in the 9th inning with the Rays trailing11-3. Beggers can’t be choosers.
THE BAD: James the Lesser. Shields continues his inconsistent run through the 2009 season. At what point do we start blaming the long 2008 season and the short off-season?…The Bullpen. 3.2 innings, 6 runs and a very unceremonious return for Brian Shouse who gave up 2 home runs…Long Balls. For the life of us, we can’t figure out how to blame 4 Yankees home runs on Replica Yankee Stadium…Evan Longoria. Longoria was hit on the elbow by AJ Burnett. Longo was protected by equipment, but we are still worried. Sluggers that crowd the plate are pitched up and in a lot. Those players tend to take a lot of pitches off the left arm and tend to break a lot of wrists. Think Jeff Bagwell. And it is worse for Longoria because he stands upright, which means his first movement is always down and towards the plate.
THE TELLING: PECOTA now says the Rays have a 14.8% shot at making the playoffs.
SUNBURST PLAYER OF THE GAME: BJ Upton. 2 of the Rays 6 hits and scored twice.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Aki Iwamura is expected to take groundballs today for the first time since knee surgery. [St. Pete Times]
- Martin Fennelly says the Rays have dug themselves a deep hole. [Tampa Tribune]
- No surprise here, but Ed Price of Fanhouse says the Rays are no longer in the Roy Halladay sweepstakes. However, apparently Scott Kazmir-to-the-Angels is still on the table. [Twitter]
- Meanwhile, the Rays are still very much a part of the discussion for Cliff Lee and Victor Martinez, with Joel Sherman saying the Rays are willing to part with Wade Davis. [MLB Trade Rumors]
- As for Scott Kazmir, his agent spoke with Andrew Friedman to see if there was any truth to the trade rumors. Kaz said that his agent told him, “there’s really nothing to it.” [MLB]
- Gary Shelton makes a case that the Rays need to make a trade. [St. Pete Times]
- Her Rays transforms into Ms. Grouchy McGrouchypants, and you don’t want that. [Her Rays!]
- David Chalk compares Carl Crawford’s all-star game catch to other famous catches. [Bugs and Cranks]
- Rays All Day looks at whether Carl Crawford is expendable. [Rays All Day]