Time to bring back the GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: The Bullpen. 3 more shutout innings…Savvy Navi. He didn’t score, but with 2 outs, a base runner on first base should always try to get second. And Navi knows this as well as anybody. In the 5th he stole second base to get into scoring position. Navi has 6 career steals with the Rays, 5 have come with 2 outs and nobody else on base.
THE BAD: Scott Kazmir. Not terrible and his defense let him down, but 3 of the 5 leadoff hitters got on baseAnd of course he was out of the game after 5 innings. Not good…Offense Has Gone South. The Rays, the highest scoring team in baseball, have now scored 1 run in the last 19 innings…It’s Not The Home Run. It is the batter before the home run. This time a Jason Bartlett throwing error turned Hank Blalock’s home run in to a 2-run shot…All In The Name Of Sales. MLB wants to be “patriotic”? We are throwing up the bullsh*t flag on that one. They already wore the red caps on Memorial Day. That’s fine. nice gesture. But now they have to wear them this entire series? THEY LOOK HIDEOUS.
THE TELLING: The Rays got 3 hits and 1 run off a guy with zero major league wins.
SUNBURST PLAYER OF THE GAME: Grant Balfour.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- The Rays will skip Jeff Niemann’s next start with Matt Garza going tomorrow…It is not surprising that Garza is going tomorrow, as Joe Maddon likes to keep him and James Shields on normal rest. But it is surprising that JoeMa is skipping Niemann completely (who will be available out of the ‘pen). We are struggling to remember the last time JoeMa skipped a starter completely. [Rays Report]
- BJ Upton was named the AL Player of the Month, joining Evan Longoria who won the award for April. [Rays Report]
- Remember the “Ball-Less Baseball” promotion we told you about a coupld of days ago? Some people are less than thrilled…We are shocked! And notice that Marc Topkin never actually uses the name of the promotion in his write-up. [The Heater]
- @evanlongoria is 100% fake, but @RaysJoeMaddon is apparently real. Go figure. However, Marc Lancaster writes that Joe Maddon “began authorizing short messages to be posted.” In other words, these are his thoughts, but he is not the one actually Tweeting. Meh. That seems no different than catching his quotes in the Times or Tribune. [Tampa Tribune]
- We don’t drop a lot of FIPs around here, but that doesn’t mean we don’t appreciate the stat. And it doesn’t mean we don’t shake our head in shame when Patrick Reusse writes “Apparently, FIP stands for Fudge I’m Pathetic among bloggers.” Sad. Oh yeah, and appreantly the only reason the Tigers are ahead of the Twins in the standings right now is because the Tigers ripped off the Rays and the Twins didn’t. [Minneapolis Star-Tribune]
- In honor of the 4th of July, Rays the Stakes has written a Constitution for the Rays. [Rays the Stakes]
- David Chalk is up to #76-73 on the top 177 Devil Rays Ever. [Bugs and Cranks]
- Joe Smith has some quotes from Andy Sonnanstine on his recent demotion. [The Heater]