Time to bring back the GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Jeff Niemann. His second shutout of the season should start to wake people up to his Rookie of the Year chances…Extra Rest. Jeff Niemann loves extra rest. Both of his shutouts have come on 5 days rest. And this year the Giraffe is 6-0 in 7 starts with a 2.44 ERA on extra rest. Bases Loaded. The Rays have the 2nd highest OPS (1.061) in the AL with the bases loaded. Ben Zobrist’s bases loaded walk last night was the Rays 9th of the season. They have also been hit by a pitch 3 times with the sacks full.
THE BAD: 9 vs 13. We rarely bash umpiring around here. Bad calls happen. But last night was pretty bad. Jeff Niemann needed to make 5 outs in the first inning and then they blew another call in the 9th that would have ended the game.
SUNBURST PLAYER OF THE GAME: Jeff Niemann
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Andy Sonnanstine has gone on the 7-day DL. No details on the type of injury yet. [Watching Durham Bulls Baseball]
- Fernando Perez and Shawn Riggans hit against Brian Shouse in a simulated game. [The Heater]
- In a conference call prior to the game, Stuart Sternberg promised to not cut payroll during the season even though attendance is not what they expected. [Rays Report]
- The Rays will dish out $110K in bonuses for the All-Star game. Evan Longoria ($50K), Carl Crawford ($25K), Jason Bartlett ($25K) and Ben Zobrist ($10K). [St. Louis Post-Dispatch]
- Martin Fennelly writes about Jason Bartlett and his life in the spotlight. [Tampa Tribune]