Time to bring back the GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: The Offense. Scoring runs is not a problem for this team, and it won’t be. 11 more runs, 4 more home runs. How many times this season have you been watching the game and you look up and you are surprised to see that the Rays have 7 or 8 on the board already?…Carlos Pena. El Gato is heating up and it is only going to get better with Pat Burrell due back tonight…Speaking of Which. Have you seen Pat Burrell’s new goatee? It is trashtastic, but maybe that is the cure to get him out of his season-long funk.
THE BAD: David Price. 6 strikeouts is nice, but 6 walks in 4.1 innings is horrible. As are the 105 pitches…BJ Upton. 0-5 with 3 Ks, and 2 for his last 20 with 8 strikeouts and 1 walk. That’s not good…Matt Joyce. In his first 2 games after being recalled, Joyce was 5-7 with 2 home runs and 5 RBI. Since then he was 0-15. Hence the demotion…Interleague play. We are generally fans of interleague play, but for every chance you get to see the Rays play in Coors Field, we are going to have to deal with the Nats at home.
THE TELLING: The Rays continue to lead all of MLB in scoring (5.6 r/g). They are also second in OPS (.810), behind only the Yankees (.832). However, the Rays 42 errors are the 3rd most in the AL and they are on pace for 110. Last year the Rays committed only 90.
SUNBURST PLAYER OF THE GAME: Gabe Gross. Navarro left 6 men on base. Pena’s home run came when the game was over. Gross was on base 4 times and drove in 2.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Marc Lancaster on Pedro Martinez: “Probably not”. Marc Topkin on Pedro: “Unlikely”. And yet, nobody has explained why the Rays have scheduled a second workout. So far, everything else in the original report was true, so there is no reason to believe there isn’t a second workout scheduled. And if you missed our post last night, Nick Cafardo is reporting that the Rays and Pedro have already been discussing dollar amounts. The Rays may not sign Pedro, but there is more to this than just somebody watching a friend workout.
- To add a strange twist to the Pedro Martinez story. Keep in mind that Don Zimmer is a senior adviser for the Rays. Michael Weber of Rays Revolutionary spoke with Zim’s grandson who says the two have patched up their differences and now consider each other friends.
- Pat Burrell has been activated and we suspect he will be in the lineup tonight. To make room, Matt Joyce was demoted back to Durham. [The Heater]
- Jason Bartlett will begin a rehab assignment tonight as the DH for Charlotte. He will play shortstop on Saturday and Sunday and should be back with the Rays on Monday.
- Joey Johnston has some quotes from Matt Joyce on his demotion. [Tampa Tribune]
- MLB Notebook says Pedro Martinez makes sense for the Rays. [MLB Notebook]
- Joe Smith writes about the Rays 4th round pick, a catcher who may have been a first-round pick before he had Tommy John surgery. [St. Pete Times]
- Everybody’s favorite interviewer of the Rays, David Brown, is back with a Q&A of Edwin Jackson. Ok, so it is a former Ray, but great read still. [Big League Stew]
- The Rays Party breaks down Jeff Niemann’s last start. [The Rays Party]
- Rays Prospects has the complete list of the Rays top 30 picks from the draft. [Rays Prospects]
- Trop Talk misses the old Dioner Navarro. [Trop Talk]