Time to bring back the GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: By The Arm of Gabriel. Gabe Gross redeemed a poor at bat earlier in the game (see below) by potentially saving a run in the 7th by throwing out a runner at second base after he rounded the bag too far on a basehit…Ben Zobrist. 2 more hits and another home run. Ho-hum.
THE BAD: Not-So-Golden Opportunities. Bases loaded in the 7th with 1 out and Carlos Pena at the plate. A great chance to cut into the 22-run lead as long as Upton gets a bat on the ball. He did, and he hit it hard. Right at the first basemen for vomit-inducing 3-unassisted double-play…Flyballs Going Uncaught. Sure enough, only a couple of days after noting that BJ Upton had started catching deep flyballs that earlier this season were landing on the turf, last night, two such flyballs landed safely for extra-base hits…Giveup Swing. With 1 out and runners on first and third in the 2nd, Gabe Gross did something with the bat. We still aren’t sure what he was trying to do. It looked like a 2-strike swing that was trying to foul off a tough pitch (it was a 1-1 pitch). He just flicked the bat, half-a**ed and hit a shallow pop-up to left. Dioner Navarro would then strikeout to end the threat…And Of Course. From the “we should have kept our mouths shut” department, Carl Crawford grounded into his first GIDP of the season, and with it, the game was lost and the Rays were once again flushed down the toilet of mediocrity.
THE TELLING: BJ Upton was ejected after flying out in the 9th inning. He was apparently upset at the strikezone…Jeff Niemann takes the mound with an extra day of rest since his 2-hit shutout…
SUNBURST PLAYER OF THE GAME: Ben Zobrist
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Marc Topkin has some more info on top pick LeVon Washington and the Rays other two picks from the draft, both high schoolers. [St. Pete Times]
- The Rays released Chad Orvella and signed Jorge Julio, who has 99 career saves and made 15 appearances with Milwaukee earlier this season. Julio has been assigned to Durham, but expect to see him in a Rays uniform at some point this season. [Yahoo! Sports]
- Jason Bartlett is hoping to return to the lineup on Friday. [Rays Report]
- Evan Longoria still has the overall vote lead for the all-star team in the American League. [The Heater]
- Ted Keith has a piece up on SI.com about this new feeling we all have in our stomachs. Apparently it is called “disappointment.” (thanks Amanda) [SI.com]
- If you want an escape from the depressing Rays, may we suggest the latest “Why I Love Baseball” piece from, Sixty Feet, Six Inches. [Sixty Feet, Six Inches]
- Rays Revolutionary offers an optimistic and a pessimistic view of the Rays. [Rays Revolutionary]