Time to bring back the GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: The Duke’s Comeback. After his horrible first inning, we saw the Andy Sonnanstine we know and love when he retired 14 of the final 16 batters he faced. But was it enough?…Quick Bounce Back. When a pitcher gives up 4 runs in the first inning, it is so important to get at least a couple back right away and the Rays 3 runs in the first inning may have saved the game…Big Bats. Three innings with crooked numbers. 5 batters with at least 2 hits and every starter with a hit except BJ Upton, who walked twice…Big Slide. Amazing slide at second base by Gabe Kapler to pull the rope-a-dope and avoid the tag.
THE BAD: Duke’s Days As A Starter. Strong the rest of the way? Yes. But can the Rays look past the 1st inning in which Andy Sonnanstine gave up 4 runs on 5 hits? Probably not. Would it have made a difference if Sonny was great the first 4 innings and then got pounded in the 5th?…Jason Bartlett. JB is a great shortstop, but he was thinking what exactly, when he flipped the ball into right field?…BJ Being BJ. It gets old having to mention every time BJ Upton is thrown out on the bases or is picked off. How about we just start including it in the good when he doesn’t.
THE TELLING: Congrats to Jason Bartlett for his 19-game hitting streak and breaking the Rays record. But it is just 19 games and it has taken more than a month. Get to 30 and we will start to get excited…With Evan Longoria nursing his sore hamstring, Pat Burrell batted 3rd with Jason Bartlett moving up to 6th.
SUNBURST PLAYER OF THE GAME: Willy Aybar
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Scott Kazmir will start either Saturday or Sunday. Still no word on whether he will be replacing one of the starters scheduled for one of those days (Jeff Niemann and David Price) or if they will just be moved back a day. [Tampa Tribune]
- Here is a video clip of Ben Zobrist signing a Zorilla t-shirt a young girl made. During the clip, Zobrist briefly mentions the Zorilla t-shirt found in the Rays Index Store (thanks Michael). [Sun Sports/Fox Sports]
- Anybody want to go back through the schedule and figure out the Rays record in their different uniforms this season? Like the Mets have done here. [Flickr]
- So Carlos Pena didn’t vomit on a bar owner and get beat up by 10 bouncers. But it is a strange thing for a writer to write. If his point was just to show that trouble can happen when hanging out with athletes, couldn’t he have made the same point without using specific names? [Bugs and Cranks]
- Jason Bartlett’s hitting streak began on May 15th. Joe DiMaggio’s 56-game hit streak began on May 15th…On a side note Bartlett once gave a dollar to a homeless guy named DiMaggio and DiMaggio had a dog named Bartlett. [Bugs and Cranks]
- Are you or somebody you know worthy of the title, “Hottest Rays Girl”? Contest has commenced. [Trop It Like It’s Hot]
- The latest installment of “Give Me One Reason…” over at Rays the Stakes, where they discuss sweeping the Marlins, hitting Carl Crawford leadoff and moving Andy Sonnanstine to the bullpen. [Rays the Stakes]
- Unbelievable. Remember those replica AL Championship rings the Rays gave away earlier this season? Somebody is selling fakes on eBay. Fakes of fakes. [St. Pete Times]