Time to bring back the GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: JP Howell. Where would the pitching staff be right now without JP Howell’s recent work. In his last 12 appearances, he has only allowed an earned run once. Over that span he has thrown 13.1 innings and allowed just 2 earned runs on 7 hits and 4 walks with 19 strikeouts…Matt Joyce. Think this guy wants to be in the big leagues? Playing only his 4th game with the Rays, he homered for the second time and beat out an infield single.
THE BAD: Gross Day. Gabe Gross took one pitch to the wall and another was lined back up the middle. Both should have been hits. Both were outs and he finished 0-3…Youth Is Not Serving. With so many young players receiving playing time right now it is to be expected. But it still hurts to give away outs in a 1-run loss when somebody like Reid Brignac is picked off first base with 1 out in the 3rd…Evan Longoria. One reason he is leading both leagues in RBI is that he has come to the plate with more runners on base than anybody else. Yesterday he left 4 of them stranded in his 0-3.
THE TELLING: Willy Aybar started at third with Evan Longoria at DH and Joe Maddon managed to get the lineup card correct. With BJ Upton getting the day off it was Ben Zobrist leading off and playing second base. He moved to short later in the game. Reid Brignac started at short. And it was only 1 game, but Matt Joyce was not called up to play right field on Sunday. He was in center…The Rays won’t face Zach Greinke in the upcoming Royals series.
SUNBURST PLAYER OF THE GAME: Matt Joyce
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Pat Burrell says he is “hoping to be playing some games — somewhere — hopefully by the end of this week, or next week.”…Also, Chad Bradford will begin his rehab assignment with Montgomery today. [St. Pete Times]
- Troy Percival was back with the Rays and in uniform on Sunday and has decided to try and get his shoulder fixed to pitch again this season. [The Heater]
- It was a whirlind couple of days for Matt Joyce and his family. [Tampa Tribune]
- Ben Zobrist says he is adjusting to the grind of playing everyday. [Tampa Tribune]
- John Romano says that the Rays decision to pick Josh Hamilton over Josh Beckett ten years ago today could end up being the right choice over the next 10 years…Maybe, but you can’t take away the fact that Beckett is still one of the great postseason pitchers. Ever. Even with his struggles a year ago. [St. Pete Times]
- The Rays Party shows that Lance Cormier has been most effective working on short rest. [The Rays Party]
- Landon Evanson over at Bugs and Cranks doesn’t understand why Raysheads boo Delmon Young. [Bugs and Cranks]