phpmL32Ik

Time to bring back the GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.

click above image for boxscore

THE GOOD: Kevin Kennedy. As a former catcher, we always prefer the perspective of somebody that wore the tools of ignorance. Despite 15 years behind the plate and a couple of years coaching, we often find ourselves learning something from Kennedy about the game and the craft.

THE BAD: Kevin Kennedy. We really wish Kennedy would offer up his opinion on taking infield practice prior to a game (end sarcasm). We generally try to catch the opposing team’s broadcast for the first game of every series so we can get a feel for how others view the Rays. That means that we have only caught the Rays broadcast crew for about 35-40 games this season (we do radio from time to time). And in just those games we must have heard Kennedy rant about infield practice at least 4 times.

THE TELLING: Kevin Kennedy. You can tell that he is still learning the Rays and the organization. We can’t expect him to sound like somebody that has covered the team for 10 years. There is certainly a learning curve. For the most part we have been happy with his commentary, even if sometimes it sounds like Dewayne Staats has left the booth to go get a hot dog.

DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA

• Jason Isringhausen’s MRI showed that he has a torn UCL in his elbow and is done for the season. He will need Tommy John surgery. His agent says that Izzy plans to pitch again. [St. Pete Times]
  • The Rays Party has a couple of great before and after pictures showing how Ben Zobrist is now using his lower body to generate more power. [The Rays Party]
  • Joe Smith has a piece on BJ Upton’s growing Gold Glove chances, with quotes from somebody that knows the award well, Torii Hunter…In the same piece, Joe Maddon admits that even though he would prefer Ben Zobrist as a utility player, Zorilla has earned a shot to be the most-days second baseman. [St. Pete Times]
  • Joe Smith writes about Jeff Niemann’s rocky road as a professional. [St. Pete Times]
  • Rays Revolutionary offers up some Fathers Day shopping ideas, Rays Style. [Rays Revolutionary]
  • Rays the Stakes pens an open letter to the Rays. [Rays the Stakes]

Tags

1. Chris says:

I still think KK is trash. Way more bad than good, and it’s telling that he doesn’t go on West Coast trips with the team.

2. GatorRaysHead says:

Chris is right. Does he really need to tell us the proper way to block a ball in the dirt seven times a game? At this point everything he says makes me cringe.

3. Charles says:

If that schedule watch didn’t look too cheap to cost $110, I’d be all over it.

4. Rayhawk says:

I think compared to Joe McGrane, he is far inferior. no wonder he didnt last as a manager. I find myself pulling teeth during a broadcast, and my wife saying, how come you have better things to say than he does. i want Brain Anderson next year. And can we all appreciate how spoiled we were with Joe.

• Wally Pipp says:

I agree. I hope this year is a trial for Brian Anderson and next year he’ll get the job full time. BA has offered much more insight than Kennedy has.

Kennedy’s analysis is kind of bland and generic. He’s had a few good stories about his managing days, and a few good breakdowns of the catchers (especially Navi), but otherwise he doesn’t say much that’s interesting.

Plus he giggles at his own jokes. And I hate that.

It’s too bad, because Dewayne Staats is one of the best in the game, and he’s not getting much support from his partner.

Think he is not affraid to say what he is thinking..
    For example: he will say if an umpire makes a mistake, and he will tell why he made a mistake…
    Also pulls no punches with ANY of the players..he will call them out after a mistake … Better reporting to me….because
    Many announcers/reporters will not do that…affraid to hurt someone’s
    feelings….

• Chris says:

I disagree. Every close play should go the Rays way in his mind. He just seems like too much of a know-it-all for my taste. I will freely admit, I didn’t appreciate Magrane as much as I should have while he was here.

• Don says:

You missed the part about he tells you: “why” he feels it was a mistake…
        ALso He calls out Rays players more than anyone, how is that favoring the Rays???

• KillaTapes says:

I think for the first time, I actually agree with you on something. I actually like how Kennedy has the team’s back. The complaining about umpire’s calls can get a little overbearing, but most of the time, he’s absolutely right, and if the bad call goes against the other team, he’s not afraid to admit it. If we can just get him to stop saying “cookie”, I’ll be Ok with him.

6. Tom says:

I think he complains about balls and strikes calls way too much.