Time to bring back the GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Kevin Kennedy. As a former catcher, we always prefer the perspective of somebody that wore the tools of ignorance. Despite 15 years behind the plate and a couple of years coaching, we often find ourselves learning something from Kennedy about the game and the craft.
THE BAD: Kevin Kennedy. We really wish Kennedy would offer up his opinion on taking infield practice prior to a game (end sarcasm). We generally try to catch the opposing team’s broadcast for the first game of every series so we can get a feel for how others view the Rays. That means that we have only caught the Rays broadcast crew for about 35-40 games this season (we do radio from time to time). And in just those games we must have heard Kennedy rant about infield practice at least 4 times.
THE TELLING: Kevin Kennedy. You can tell that he is still learning the Rays and the organization. We can’t expect him to sound like somebody that has covered the team for 10 years. There is certainly a learning curve. For the most part we have been happy with his commentary, even if sometimes it sounds like Dewayne Staats has left the booth to go get a hot dog.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Jason Isringhausen’s MRI showed that he has a torn UCL in his elbow and is done for the season. He will need Tommy John surgery. His agent says that Izzy plans to pitch again. [St. Pete Times]
- The Rays Party has a couple of great before and after pictures showing how Ben Zobrist is now using his lower body to generate more power. [The Rays Party]
- Joe Smith has a piece on BJ Upton’s growing Gold Glove chances, with quotes from somebody that knows the award well, Torii Hunter…In the same piece, Joe Maddon admits that even though he would prefer Ben Zobrist as a utility player, Zorilla has earned a shot to be the most-days second baseman. [St. Pete Times]
- Joe Smith writes about Jeff Niemann’s rocky road as a professional. [St. Pete Times]
- Rays Revolutionary offers up some Fathers Day shopping ideas, Rays Style. [Rays Revolutionary]
- Rays the Stakes pens an open letter to the Rays. [Rays the Stakes]