Time to bring back the GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Barty And Zorilla. Sounds like a wine cooler, but where would the Rays be without the surprise bats Jason Bartlett and Ben Zobrist? Both now sport an OPS north of 1.000 (1.080 and 1.017 respectively). Zorilla actually leads the AL in OPS…Speed Kills. All the talk of Carl Crawford being 37-40 on the basepaths, but few have noticed that BJ Upton is 25-30 and Jason Bartlett is 14-15. As a team they are 109-128 (85%). That’s pretty good.
THE BAD: The 4th Inning. Again a Rays pitcher was done in by one really bad inning in the light air of Coors Field. This time it was the 3rd inning and it is never a good sign when you give up a single to the pitcher with 1 out. That was followed by back-to-back home runs with 2 outs…The 9th Inning. The Rays had exactly what they wanted, 2 on with no outs and Evan Longoria, Carlos Pena and Ben Zobrist due up. But Longo and Pena struck out, so Zorilla’s single came up 1-run short and Gabe Gross’ long drive came up a few feet foul…Evan Longoria’s Eyes. anybody else notice how much Dirtbag was squinting yesterday at the plate? Has he always done this in day games? It is hard to hit the ball with your eyes closed.
THE TELLING: The Rays are now 8-14 in 1-run games. Every other team in the division is at least .500 in those situations…The sting of losing 2 of 3 to a very good Colorado team (just check their run differential) is helped a bit by knowing that the Yankees lost 2 of 3 to the Nationals…The Rays will go from one of baseball’s homer-happy parks to one of the stingiest, New Shea Stadium (we are not calling it by the other name). There has been a lot of talk this season about the frustration of the Mets players who claim that many sure-thing home runs are dying in the outfield.
SUNBURST PLAYER OF THE GAME: Ben Zobrist. That 2-run basehit in the 9th was about the only exciting thing to happen to the Rays all day.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- A couple of our readers and regular commenters have branched off and started their own blog, Trop It Like It’s Hot, with bonus Jenn Sterger photo. [Trop It Like It's Hot]
- The source of Ben Zobrist’s nickname is indeed “Gorilla”, sorta. Some of the other Rays had started calling him “Gorilla Zoe,” after the hip-hop artist. Joe Maddon then shortened it to Zorilla. [MLB]
- And now we learn that the other Rays are jealous of Ben Zobrist’s nickname. And he is soooo innocent: “I don’t know what’s in the tabloids.” Ain’t it cute? Somebody needs to give him an update on John and Kate. (thanks Amanda) [SI.com]
- Here is the latest on Pedro Martinez, as it looks like both the Rays and the Cubs are balking at his asking price. And the Rays are indeed interested in Pedro as a relief pitcher. [MLB Trade Rumors]
- However, the Rays and Cubs will still watch Pedro Martinez pitch again today. And you can add the Yankees and Angels to the teams that will watch. [Fox Sports]