Time to bring back the GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Evan Longoria. Took long enough, but Dirtbag was finally back in the lineup, although he was a bit rusty with a walk and 3 strikeouts…Carl Crawford was the only player with more than 1 hit going 2-4…Do Our Eyes Deceive Us? Gabe Kapler homered.
THE BAD: Andy Sonnanstine. The Duke still has time to save his job in the rotation, but the leash is getting shorter, and one has to wonder if the Rays are at least considering a change even before Scott Kazmir returns from the DL. Carlos Hernandez perhaps? Yes, the Yankees have some good hitters. And yes, Replica Yankee Stadium is like Coors Field on steroids. But you can’t give up 4 home runs in one start. It can’t happen…Carlos Pena continues to struggle, going 0-3 with 3 strikeouts and a HBP…No Thievery. Whenever the Rays play the Yankees and Jorge Posada is behind the plate, the Rays should have 3 stolen bases minimum.
THE TELLING: Willy Aybar was originally to play second base, but was not given a chance to boot any grounders or drop any pop ups as he came down with a migraine. Ben Zobrist started at second and Reid Brignac was back in the lineup at short…According to CoolStandings.com, the Rays still have a 33.6% shot at making the playoffs. PECOTA says it is only 25.3%.
SUNBURST PLAYER OF THE GAME: Gabe Kapler. Sorry. They gave us no choice.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Injury updates via Marc Lancaster: Pat Burrell began a rehab assignment last night with Montgomery and is expected back with the Rays on Friday. Jason Bartlett is eligible to come off the DL Wednesday but won’t, and will go on a rehab assignment before he returns. Scott Kazmir is expected to have a rehab schedule by the end of the week as he will likely make several starts in the minors before a return. [Tampa Tribune]
- Marc Topkin has a list of the Rays 5 best and 5 worst draft picks. [St. Pete Times]
- Of players in the major leagues that were drafted, Gabe Kapler is the lowest-drafted, selected in the 57th round of the 1995 draft by Detroit. [San Diego Union-Tribune]
- Rays Revolutionary has 10 things they would like to see this week from the Rays. We guess it is 9 now, since the Rays pissed away #1. [Rays Revolutionary]
- The Rays shaved bullpen coach Bobby Ramos’ back prior to yesterday’s game. Sadly, no pictures have surfaced. [The Heater]