From time to time we are going to take a look at the 2009 attendance and see how the 2009 season stacks up against last year and whether the Rays can reach their goal of being average (in attendance).
Notes on the attendance follow the graph…
Notes on the 2009 attendance…
- The Rays drew 1.8 million fans in 2008. That was the most since their inaugural season of 1998 when they drew 2.5 million.
- The Rays goal for 2009 is league average which was 2.6 million in 2008 (the median was about 2.5 million). The Rays would need to average about 31,000 per game to reach 2.5 million in attendance.
- Last year the Rays averaged 22,259 over 81 games. After 21 home games, the Rays were averaging 18,344.
- This year the Rays are averaging 23,895, 21st in baseball, and are on pace for 1.9 million, barely more than what they drew last season.
- The attendance has fallen off the pace of league average, no thanks to a recent homestand that featured four games under 15,000 including a Devil Raysian 11,420 against the A’s.