Time to bring back the GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Carlos Pena. 2 hits, on base 3 times, including his 14th home run, his first since Pat Burrell went missing from the lineup…Aki Iwamura. 2 hits including a bunt single to get his average over .300…Jason Isringhausen. He sure looks like Troy Percival, but so far the results are unPercivilian.
THE BAD: Scott Kazmir. Kaz being Kaz. So much for the mechanical flaw he fixed during his bullpen session.
THE TELLING: Dioner Navarro was back in the lineup after missing 3 games with pink eye…
SUNBURST PLAYER OF THE GAME: Carlos Pena.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- In case you missed the update yesterday afternoon, Joe Maddon has agreed to a 3-year extension through 2012. Of course the team and Maddon had their usual “we don’t comment until we comment” stance. [St. Pete Times]
- Joe Maddon was fined $500 for his actions in Sunday’s game with the Indians. [St. Pete Times]
- John Romano says the genius of Joe Maddon is turning a mistake into a lesson and that the gift Maddon brought to the organization was a different culture in the clubhouse. [St. Pete Times]
- Martin Fennelly like everybody is not surprised by the new deal for Joe Maddon, but Fennelly says the timing is curious given the Rays slow start. [Tampa Tribune]
- John Romano looks back on the Aubrey Huff trade and how it produced a big leaguer for the Rays, just not the one many thought. (Video) [St. Pete Times]
- Fudge the Heck!?! The Long Beach State Dirtbags, Evan Longoria’s alma mater and nicknamesake, makes TIME’s list of the “Top 10 Worst Team Names.” For shame! [TIME]
- The Rays Party wonders if a trade is near. [The Rays Party]