Time to bring back the GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: BJ Upton. We put Bossman here reluctantly. The 3 hits were a nice change, but he is still not hitting the ball with authority. A healthy Upton has the quickest wrists and amazing bat speed, neither of which we are seeing now…Jason Bartlett. Yes Upton was on base 3 times, but until he is healthy, would it kill Joe Maddon to have Bartlett’s hot bat at the top of the order? Three more hits. On base 4 times. And oh yeah, his 5th home run and 9th steal…Jeff Niemann. That was a decent workmanlike performance. The kind you hope a 5th starter can provide. He worked his way out of several tough jams and picked up his 3rd win…Carlos Pena. No home runs, but last night may have been his best night of the season yet. 2 hard hit doubles and 2 walks, scoring 3 times.
THE BAD: Troy Percival. Can we just rename this section “The Percy”? Any objections? We could give Percival a lifetime pass, kinda like the one he has to Piccadilly. By the way, can we assume that Percy is going to the DL sometime in the next week with a back “injury” to make room for Jason Isringhausen? In the meantime, we really want to punch Percy in the face. It would be ok. He is not pregnant in the face…Carl Crawford. CC had to be removed from the game after making a diving catch to end the 4th.
THE TELLING: The Rays played 23 games in April with one sacrifice bunt. They have 5 in the last 12 games including Dioner Navarro’s last night. Last year the Rays had the fewest sacrifices (23) in baseball. This year, Baltimore (3), the White Sox (2) and Boston (0) combined have fewer sac bunts than the Rays.
SUNBURST PLAYER OF THE GAME: Jason Bartlett.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Carl Crawford’s shoulder injury has been classified as a bruise and CC doesn’t expect to miss much time. [The Heater]
- Pat Burrell left the team to go back to the Bay Area to have his neck examined by a specialist. It has been bothering him for several weeks. [The Heater]
- Andrew Friedman was in Durham to watch Jonny Gomes tear apart the Bulls the past couple of days…OK, he wasn’t there to watch Gomes, but it was a little ironic. Also Watching Durham Bulls Baseball has an audio interview of Friedman in which he discusses David Price’s last start (he was impressed) among other topics. Scroll down about two-thirds for the link. [Watching Durham Bulls Baseball]
- Can somebody please explain why Kevin Kennedy was doing color commentary for the Red Sox broadcast on Tuesday? We are not sure if this should bother us or not. Would it have been different if Dewayne Staats did the play-by-play? [WEEI via Joe Maddon Sucks]
- Well, now we know why Scott Kazmir gained so much weight in the off-season and why we now call him Beef-K. [Bugs and Cranks]
- Bill Chastain has a piece discussing Dioner Navarro’s struggles with passed balls this season…What is interesting to us is that we looked up the numbers and Navi has only been charged with 2 passed balls, but it seems to us that there have been at least 5. [MLB]
- Rays the Stakes wonders when there is going to be a shake-up in the rotation and offers a glimpse at what it might look like. [Rays the Stakes]
- Her Rays writes an ode to Jason Bartlett. [Her Rays]
- Rays Revolutionary got their hands on the Evan Longoria figurine to be given out this weekend. [Rays Revolutionary]