Rays Crawford Injured Orioles Baseball

Time to bring back the GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.

click above image for boxscore

THE GOOD: BJ Upton. We put Bossman here reluctantly. The 3 hits were a nice change, but he is still not hitting the ball with authority. A healthy Upton has the quickest wrists and amazing bat speed, neither of which we are seeing now…Jason Bartlett. Yes Upton was on base 3 times, but until he is healthy, would it kill Joe Maddon to have Bartlett’s hot bat at the top of the order? Three more hits. On base 4 times. And oh yeah, his 5th home run and 9th steal…Jeff Niemann. That was a decent workmanlike performance. The kind you hope a 5th starter can provide. He worked his way out of several tough jams and picked up his 3rd win…Carlos Pena. No home runs, but last night may have been his best night of the season yet. 2 hard hit doubles and 2 walks, scoring 3 times.

THE BAD: Troy Percival. Can we just rename this section “The Percy”? Any objections? We could give Percival a lifetime pass, kinda like the one he has to Piccadilly. By the way, can we assume that Percy is going to the DL sometime in the next week with a back “injury” to make room for Jason Isringhausen? In the meantime, we really want to punch Percy in the face. It would be ok. He is not pregnant in the face…Carl Crawford. CC had to be removed from the game after making a diving catch to end the 4th.

THE TELLING: The Rays played 23 games in April with one sacrifice bunt. They have 5 in the last 12 games including Dioner Navarro’s last night. Last year the Rays had the fewest sacrifices (23) in baseball. This year, Baltimore (3), the White Sox (2) and Boston (0) combined have fewer sac bunts than the Rays.

SUNBURST PLAYER OF THE GAME: Jason Bartlett.

DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA

• Carl Crawford’s shoulder injury has been classified as a bruise and CC doesn’t expect to miss much time. [The Heater]
  • Pat Burrell left the team to go back to the Bay Area to have his neck examined by a specialist. It has been bothering him for several weeks. [The Heater]
  • Andrew Friedman was in Durham to watch Jonny Gomes tear apart the Bulls the past couple of days…OK, he wasn’t there to watch Gomes, but it was a little ironic. Also Watching Durham Bulls Baseball has an audio interview of Friedman in which he discusses David Price’s last start (he was impressed) among other topics. Scroll down about two-thirds for the link. [Watching Durham Bulls Baseball]
  • Can somebody please explain why Kevin Kennedy was doing color commentary for the Red Sox broadcast on Tuesday? We are not sure if this should bother us or not. Would it have been different if Dewayne Staats did the play-by-play?  [WEEI via Joe Maddon Sucks]
  • Well, now we know why Scott Kazmir gained so much weight in the off-season and why we now call him Beef-K. [Bugs and Cranks]
  • Bill Chastain has a piece discussing Dioner Navarro’s struggles with passed balls this season…What is interesting to us is that we looked up the numbers and Navi has only been charged with 2 passed balls, but it seems to us that there have been at least 5. [MLB]
  • Rays the Stakes wonders when there is going to be a shake-up in the rotation and offers a glimpse at what it might look like. [Rays the Stakes]
  • Her Rays writes an ode to Jason Bartlett. [Her Rays]
  • Rays Revolutionary got their hands on the Evan Longoria figurine to be given out this weekend. [Rays Revolutionary]

Tags

1. Blake says:

If you rename The Bad to “The Percy” just be sure you stop calling it “nice and lean” in the intro.

2. Justin H says:

I never wanna see Percy on the mound again, it was always scary when he came in with a one run lead in the ninth, but now it’s starting to be scary just when he comes in at all. I’m afraid he’s going to blow the game no matter what the score is, the only thing I could think of is maybe since he hasn’t pitched since last wednesday the layoff messed him up? But I highly doubt that makes a difference with Percy, he’s just awful no matter how much rest he gets.

• I think it is telling that last night in the top of 9th when Rays stretched lead to 4, I actually said “4-run lead, not even Percy can eff this up, right?”

3. Jim says:

Percy scares me everytime he gets on the mound, but I don’t think closers ever pitch well in that situation. I’ve seen better closers than Troy shit the bed when they aren’t in a save situation.

Also, I’m guessing that if Burrell is going to get his neck checked out, he probably wasn’t ready to pinch hit the other night. Maddon has been catching a little bit of flak lately, and I think he should be given the benefit of the doubt on this one.

• Yes, I have always been a big advocate that some closers should never appear in non-save situations and as soon as they blow a save, they should be pulled. These guys often work on adrenaline and as soon as they let up a tad they are often pounded.

As for Burrell. According to Maddon, Burrell was available to pinch hit two nights ago. Also,according to Maddon Burrell has been playing with this injury for several weeks and it is not any worse now. The team is just concerned that it is not getting any better.

• Gus says:

Percy getting the “it was too big of a lead” excuse is one maybe Maddon can use. “Not every one can be a masterpiece” has surpassed “the Camper just needs to find his command” as the all-time over optimisitic Manager Maddon quote. I hate to say it, but when guys who have (likely) juiced in the past break down, they break down in spectacular fashion and are shhadows of their former selves. I think you would have to put Percival as a likely candidate for that (not ready to put Burrell there yet, but I am extremely nervous about him also).

Let youth be served.

4. Dirtbag Fan says:

How do you not include E-Lo in the Bad? 0 for 6, leaving 7 on base… yikes.

• True, but in his last 2 at bats he smoked the ball. Just bad luck I thought. 1 was a rocket line drive with the bases loaded right at the right fielder and his last at bat took the right fielder to the warning track. And besides, as good as he has been he us allowed the occassional 0-fer.

5. Justin says:

Anyone else starting to wish we had Ejax still?

I think this org has written itself into a corner with starting pitching for this year. With Kaz on the wane, Sonny having trouble, and Price not exactly destroying the minors, I think we may have need of him this year. Too bad he’s gone.

• Dirtbag Fan says:

I have a hard time believing that a player under 25 is “on the wane”… E Jax needed a change of scenery, and I truly doubt that he’ll consistently pitch well year after year.

• Justin says:

I’m talking about this year. Who knows for next year, but this year, in my opinion, we have a need for him.

6. Jessica says:

Yes you may definitely sock it to Percy. When Maddon came out to get him was he honestly saying “C’mon Joe I got this”??? As if he didn’t have his fair chance to “get this”?? Ugh.

7. Rumpy says:

The next time Percival comes into a game, I am turning the channel. He makes me sick to my stomach.