Durham 4, Gwinnett 3. James Houser allowed 3 runs (2 earned) in 5.1 innings…Justin Ruggiano (7), Matt Joyce (4) and Ray Sadler (3) homered for the Bulls. Joyce was 2-4 and is now hitting .330…Reid Brignac was 1-4 and committed his 7th error.
Montgomery (no game scheduled).
Charlotte (no game scheduled).
Bowling Green (no game scheduled).
Notes from Down on the Farm…
- Shawn Riggans had his rehab stint in Montgomery come to an early end after he once again experience pain in his shoulder. He is now scheduled to Dr. James Andrews today. [Montgomery Advertiser]
- On this week’s “Prospect Hot Sheet,” Matt Moore, part of that next wave of top prospect pitchers in the Rays system, comes in at #11 and Desmond Jennings receives honorable mention. On the other hand, David Price is on the “Not-So Hot Sheet.” [Baseball America]
In an organization overflowing with prospects, Moore could easily get lost in any conversation. But he’s hard not to notice lately. The Rays’ eighth-round pick from the 2007 draft, Moore won the Rookie-level Appalachian League’s ERA title last summer and is starting to pick up steam after shaking off some erratic command issues. He issued 16 walks in April, but is narrowing that figure while bumping up his strikeouts. By the way, he has a .151 opponent’s average for the season.
- Jeremy Hellickson is hoping to return to the mound on May 23. [Montgomery Advertiser]
- Desmond Jennings was 5-6 in Friday’s game. [MiLB]
- Wade Davis allowed 3 runs in 5 innings on Friday. [MiLB]
- Carlos Hernandez struck out 5 in 6 scoreless innings on Saturday. Justin Ruggiano was 3-4 with 3 home runs and 4 RBI. [MiLB]