Columbus 14, Durham 1. Mitch Talbot dropped to 2-2 after allowing 4 runs (2 earned) in 6 innings. He gave up 2 home runs…Chad Orvella had his second straight poor outing, allowing 4 runs on 5 hits in 2 innings. He has now allowed 7 runs in his last 4 innings after giving up just 1 run in his first 10 innings…Reid Brignac was 2-4 with a double and Matt Joyce had 2 doubles in 4 at bats. Brignac is hitting .293/.338/.467.
Mississippi 3, Montgomery 1. Aneury Rodriguez dropped to 0-4 after allowing 3 runs on 3 hits and 2 walks in 6.1 innings. Two of the runs came via a 4th inning home run…Chris Mason had his best outing of the season, pitching 1.2 perfect innings with 2 strikeouts…Desmond Jennings was 2-4 with a walk to raise his average to .356 and his OPS to 1.000.
Charlotte 5, Fort Myers 2. Alex Cobb allowed 2 runs in 4 innings.
Bowling Green 4, Augusta 2. Michael Jarman picked up his first win of the season, striking out 4 and giving up 2 runs in 5 innings…Tim Beckham was 1-3 with an RBI. He is hitting .278/.308/.361 with 20 strikeouts and 3 walks.
Notes from Down on the Farm…
- Stacy Long wants your thoughts on who was the Rays top minor leaguer in April. [Biscuit Crumbs]
- Jeremy Hellickson comes in at #11 on this week’s “Prospect Hot Sheet.” [Baseball America]
- Matt Joyce is hitting .283/.409/.434 overall and 6-15 (.400) versus lefties. And he might even be hitting better against lefties than the numbers suggest as his line drive rate is 45.5%.
- The Rays Party takes a look at the statlines of the top prospects. [The Rays Party]
- The Rays Party takes a look back at the 2008 draft. [The Rays Party]