Time to bring back the GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Carl Crawford. CC is heating up. 2 more hits yesterday and he has now hit safely in 5 straight. He is 10-20 in those 5 games. He still only has 5 extra-base hits and Crawford’s strength is the double and triples…It’s a Worldwide Suicide. With Pat Burrell on third and Dioner Navarro at the plate, it was not the most ideal situation for a suicide squeeze. But the two executed it perfectly for a 1-0 lead.
THE BAD: Andy Sonnanstine. In 4 starts The Duke has worked 19.2 innings (less than 5ip per start). 28 hits, 8 walks, 1 hbp (almost 2 baserunners per inning). A 7.78 ERA. Whenever David Price or Wade Davis is promoted, are we certain it will be Jeff Niemann heading to the bullpen?…Lance Cormier. A perfect example of how a reliever’s statline can be misleading. Cormier pitched 3 hitless innings with only 1 unintentional walk. But that walk came with the bases loaded, forcing home an inherited runner…BJ Upton’s Quad. Upton had 2 hits in the first game back from his sore quad, but hasn’t had a hit since. Overall he is 2-22 in 5 games after missing 1.5 games.
THE TELLING: The Rays have now lost 5 straight series…The Rays lost 2 of 3 to the A’s, but still managed to pick up a game on the Yankees who were swept by the Red Sox.
SUNBURST PLAYER OF THE GAME: Carl Crawford. He had half of the Rays hits.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- A quick reminder: Thursday is the final day to submit photos for the Rayshead Army Photo Contest. There are several categories. The overall winner gets tickets to a Rays game this season and others will receive t-shirts. We have already had over 100 photos submitted. Even if you don’t want to enter contest, it is worth your time to browse the pics. [Rayshead Army Photo Contest]
- Brittany Ghiroli who covered the Rays last season for MLB.com has started her own blog. Go over and take a gander. [The Rookie in Relief]
- Jason Hammel makes his first start for the Rockies tonight. [MLB]
- Andy Sonnanstine called his start embarassing and Joe Maddon is looking for Jeff Niemann to have more confidence to throw his breaking pitches in more important situations. [St. Pete Times]
- The Tampa Tribune looks at the evolution of Ben Zobrist and points to urging from Steve Henderson to drive the ball more and a talk with James Shields. [Tampa Tribune]
- Rise of the Rays says BJ Upton as a leadoff hitter is not working, and feels that Joe Maddon should move Aki Iwamura or Jason Bartlett back to the top of the order until Upton finds his groove. [Rise of the Rays]
- Well, FireJoeMaddon.com is not available because the Rays own the domain. But apparently Joe Maddon Sucks was fair game. And they would like you to know that Andy Sonnanstine’s career ERA is 5.14. [Joe Maddon Sucks]
- The 114th greatest Devil Ray ever is… [Bugs and Cranks]
- Baseball Intellect breaks down Evan Longoria’s swing, frame-by-frame. [Baseball Intellect]
You really can’t find much not to like. He has what you look for in an elite player: a blend of bat speed and quickness, terrific hand-eye coordination, pitch recognition…you name it.