THE GOOD: Dirtbag! Evan Longoria homered twice and is absolutely locked in right now. that is 4 home runs on the season already. What is his over/under right now? 40?…Benny Boo Boo’s D. Nice dive-‘em-out, throw-‘em-out by Ben Zobrist in the second inning to get Andy Sonnanstine out of a lead off double situation…Lance Cormier. This is exactly why the Rays need Cormier in the bullpen. Down 5-1 early, Cormier came in and pitched 2.1 shutout innings to keep the Rays in the game as they whittled away at the lead. They came up short yesterday *cough* Kapler *cough* but Cormier is going to help the Rays win a few this season…The Not-So-Fat Catcher. Dioner Navarro ended his mini-skid with his first home run. Mark our words. When this season is over, Navarro will have a line of .310-18-70, or not.
THE BAD: Ghost of Baserunning Past. For a team that stresses fundamentals as much as the Rays, it is amazing how many gaffes they make on the basepaths. First it was Carl Crawford getting thrown out in the first trying to stretch a double into a triple, which of course happened 3 pitches before Evan Longoria’s first home run. And then it was Gabe Kapler who, we don’t even know what he was doing. He was thrown out lollygagging around third base on Ben Zobrist’s infield single to end the rally in the 4th. Of course, the Rays lost by 1…The Duke. Andy Sonnanstine is what he is, and if we have said it once, we have said it many times, when Sonny is hittable, he is very hittable. He just doesn’t have the natural stuff to get guys out when he isn’t on top of his game…Offensive Offense. A good team cannot be held to one run by Lurch. Mark Hendrickson is capable of a good start, but the Rays are too good for it to happen to them. And 7 strikeouts with no walks in the final 3 innings. Yikes.
THE TELLING: The loss ended a 12-game winning streak over the O’s…We would be interested to see a split of Andy Sonnanstine’s stats in weather under 50°. For a pitcher that relies so much on feel, we have a feeling the numbers are not very good.
SUNBURST PLAYER OF THE GAME: Evan Longoria. This one is a no brainer. If he keeps this up, we are renaming the award after him. “The Dirtbag Award.” Or we will just say the player of the game not named Evan Longoria.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Can anybody explain this audio clip? And is it telling that we found this on the same night that Gabe Kapler got caught staring at his own biceps while running the bases? And should we be disturbed that this clip is actually part 2 and there is another one out there? [WEEI]
- The Rays Party has a fun little guide to all the Tampa Bay Rays blogs. The number of blogs is growing. That is a good sign, as the number of blogs is likely proportional to the number of fans. [The Rays Party]
- Jeff Niemann says he is not as nervous this season and Joe Maddon added that the Giraffe looks more comfortable this year (Maddon did not call Niemann a giraffe, although it would be pretty funny if he did). In the same piece, Marc Topkin says BJ Upton is still scheduled to join the Rays on Monday for their home opener. [St. Pete Times]
- MLB Trade Rumors reviews the Rays off-season moves. [MLB Trade Rumors]
- Rays of Light has the update on Jonny Gomes’ whereabouts. [Rays of Light]