Time to bring back the GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
THE GOOD: Big year for El Gato. We envisioned a big season for Carlos Pena with Pat Burrell protecting him in the lineup. And so far he is not disappointing. 2 more home runs last night and 8 on the season leads the AL. Let’s put the over/under now at 45…Gabe of the Day. Gabe Gross got the start in right field once again proving that Joe Maddon is a mad genius or the luckiest bastard ever. Gross ended the first by throwing out a runner at the plate. And then led off the 2nd inning with a home run. He finished 2-3 and was on base 4 times…The Svelte Catcher. Dioner Navarro stole a base. We repeat, Dioner Navarro, stole second base…Jason Bartlett. Barty had 4 more hits in 5 at bats, including 3 infield singles.
THE BAD: Scott Kazmir. OK, it wasn’t really bad. 6 shutout innings is still 6 shutout innings. But that might have been the worst 6 shutout innings you will ever see. It took him 69 pitches to get through the first 3 innings. And that included 2 (!) double plays, or else it would have been much, much worse…Retribution gone wrong. After giving up a home run in the 2nd inning to Gabe Gross, Trevor Cahill tried to hit or brush back Gross his next time up. One problem. The pitch hit the dirt about 5 feet in front of Gross.
THE TELLING: Today’s game will not be televised due to blackout restrictions.
SUNBURST PLAYER OF THE GAME: Carlos Pena. This could end up being Pena’s best season yet.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Matt Garza feels he put too much pressure on himself in his last start and plans to top get back to what he does. [Tampa Tribune]
- Joe Maddon admits that strike outs are something Rays hitters will do (a lot) but would like to see fewer strikeouts in certain situations. [Tampa Tribune]
- At the bottom of this Marc Topkin piece, we see that sports psychologist Ken Ravizza has joined the team this weekend. Ravizza is a longtime friend of Joe Maddon and is credited with helping Matt Garza last season…Any chance Ravizza is going to spend some time with Jeff Niemann? [St. Pete Times]
- Missed this one earlier…Ben Badler takes a look at Desmond Jennings hot start. [Baseball America]
- Desmond Jennings also came in at #2 on Baseball America’s “Prospect Hot Sheet.” [Baseball America]
- The Rays do not have a sacrifice bunt yet this season. [The Rays Party]
- Rays the Stakes wonders what happened to the Rays all-star catcher. [Rays the Stakes]