Gwinnett 3, Durham 0. [Ed. note: Where the heck is Gwinnett and why do they have a triple-A ballclub?][see comments, thanks Chris] David Price was strong in his second start, giving up just 1 unearned run in 5 innings, but was removed after 65 pitches. He struck out 6 and walked just 1…Chad Orvella pitched 2 scoreless innings of relief…The Bulls managed just 3 hits. One was a double by Matt Joyce, who was 1-3 with a walk. His double and a strike out came off a left-handed pitcher.
Montgomery 5, Chattanooga 1. Heath Rollins picked up his first win, giving up 1 run in 6 innings on 6 hits and no walks. He struck out 2…Eddie Morlan pitched 2 scoreless innings…Desmond Jennings was 1-4 with a double.
St. Lucie 8, Charlotte 7. Jesse Darcy struck out 6 and walked none in 4 innings, but was touched for 8 hits and 3 runs…Emeel Salem had 3 singles and a walk in 7 plate appearances and his first stolen base…Matt Fields was 1-5 with 3 Ks.
Bowling Green 5, West Virginia 4. Shane Dyer gave up only 1 unearned run in 4 innings. He struck out 2 and walked 3…Tim Beckham was 3-5, scored 2 runs and drove in 1. He was caught stealing in his only attempt. Beckham is now 8-29 (.276) on the season…Jake Jefferies was 0-3 with 2 walks.
Notes from Down on the Farm…
- SI.com takes a closer look at the Rays new baseball academy in Brazil. [SI.com]
- Rays Prospects has the stats for all of the minor league starting pitchers (through Wednesday). [Rays Prospects]
- Watching Durham Bulls Baseball is not sure what the method is behind Charlie Montoyo’s madness. [Watching Durham Bulls Baseball]
- The Bull Gator gets to know the logos for the Rays’ farm system. [The Bull Gator]
- Rays Prospects reviews the past week for the Stone Crabs. [Rays Prospects]