ESPN.com’s Baseball Tonight crew provided a “Web Gems” segment in which they named the top defensive player at each position based on their PECOTA projections. Two Rays make the list with Carl Crawford in left field and Jason Bartlett (tied with JJ Hardy of the Brewers) at shortstop (thanks Copley).

Including Bartlett on the list, a +9 defender based on PECOTA projections, will certainly ruffle some feathers in the Rays Blogosphere, while at the same time adding weight to the argument that Bartlett was indeed a very valuable addition to the Rays last season.

BBTN Web Gems For March 30th [ESPN]
MVP! MVP! MVP! Marc Topkin Once Again Stirs The Pot [Rays Index]

1. Blake says:

It could very easily be argued that BJ Upton and Evan Longoria should be included on the list this next year. They both are great defenders and should only be better as they advance this year.

2. Justin says:

Bartlett… vindicated!

3. Dirtbag Fan says:

I am so tired of hearing about how spectacular Bartlett is… He’s a slightly-above average defender with a below average bat… The only reason the Rays suffered so badly in his absence (due to injury) last year was because of a lack of a servicable back-up.

For the millionth time; Dirtbag was responsible for a good portion of Bartlett’s stats. JB can cheat to his left knowing that Dirtbag has him covered on the right.

Most Rays fan were just so used to seeing hacks like Brendan Harris play SS that they automatically classified JB as an all-star… when he is sent away at the end of his contract to make room for Brignac/Beckett it’ll become blatently obvious to everyone that he is a good player, nothing more.

4. Dirtbag Fan says:

Not to make this a one man thread, but I can’t even describe how psyched I am about Monday… I can’t contain myself. I get perma-smile everytime I think about it!

I can hear the national anthem now….

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity let’s play some baseball boys!

5. Blake says:

I know what you mean, for the first time ever I have actually written a paper before the day before it is due, and I am completing work ahead of time so I can watch the game on Monday. I’m even more psyched for the game on the 14th when I can actually go!

• Dirtbag Fan says:

I’m with you, my first game at the Trop this year will be vs. the ChiSox on the 19th… My Dirtbag Jersey is steamed and pressed and ready to get fresh beer spilled on it!
      Ahhhh, I can’t wait!

6. Gus says:

Bartlett is a fine defender, but I agree that the synergy of an entire infield of very fine defenders is helping him. The team MVP stuff was a joke; nice player, the kind good teams come up with. But far from a singular player at his position. Keeping it warm for Becks.

CC in left is consistently spectacular; with better legs this year and a consistent CF, should be a great season out there.

Five days. Can’t wait for the Rays. After a season where they were injury plagued, I’m looking forward to a healthy line-up. The Rays overcoming killer injuries all season long is one of the forgotten stories of 2007.