40-Man Roster and Payroll (notes on the roster can be found below the table)…
- Ages are as of today.
- Desmond Jennings, Jeremy Hellickson and Aneury Rodriguez need to be added to the 40-man roster after the season to protect them from the Rule 5 draft. Is there anybody else the Rays need to protect? Can you make an argument for Ryan Reid, Eddie Morlan or Matt Fields?
- We know this is not a very realistic projection, because Stuart Sternberg has already made it clear that the payroll will most likely go down next season. And as we can see, if all options are exercised, the Rays are already committed to $75-80 million, depending on how the arbitration-eligible players are handled. And that is after lopping off the contracts of Troy Percival and Chad Bradford, both of whom will be free agents after the season.
- So where can the Rays save money? The obvious answers are Carl Crawford and Aki Iwamura, both of whom have team options for the 2010 season. Trading those players or just declining the options would bring the payroll closer to the number that the Rays opened the 2009 season with (~$63 million).
- The other possibility would be trade Scott Kazmir, who is due $8 million next season. But we find it hard to believe that the Rays would trade a young lefty before his prime, and who is signed to a reasonable deal through 2012.
- So let’s hear it in the comments…your task: How do the Rays bring their payroll down to $55-60 million for the 2010 season?