Now that the 25-man roster has been finalized and the regular season is under way, let’s take a look at the opening day 40-man roster and payroll…
40-Man Roster and Payroll (notes on the roster can be found below the table)…
- Ages are as of today.
- There are currently 39 players on the 40-man roster.
- If needed, both Chad Bradford and Fernando Perez could be moved to the 60-day DL to open up a spot on the 40-man roster.
- The opening day payroll now projects to be $63.3 million, but we also need to include Rocco Baldelli’s buyout ($4 million). While not technically part of the payroll, it is a cost that cannot be ignored. That brings the projected payroll up to $67.3 million.
- 63.3 million would have ranked the Rays 24th in payroll on opening day last year. The Rays opening day payroll in 2008 was $43.8 million.
- 16 players will make at least $1 million this season. That number was 12 on opening day last year.