No game yesterday, so let’s get straight to the Webtopia.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- BJ Upton played 4 innings in a minor league exhibition game, going 0-4, striking out about 12 times. Upton said his stamina was “pretty good” and hopes to go longer soon…Also, Scott Kazmir threw more sliders than normal and was happy with the results stating that his slider was “definitely the best it’s felt in a while.” [St. Pete Times]
- The way Carlos Pena carried the Rays in August and September last season was amazing. It is even more incredible considering how much pain he was in. [Tampa Tribune]
- In their sophomore seasons, only two pitchers averaged more strikeouts per 9 innings than this June’s top pick, Stephen Strasburg. Those two pitchers? David Price and Wade Townsend (thanks Joe D.). [Project Prospect]
- Many people smarter than us think the Rays are one of the 4 or 5 best teams in baseball. But at least one doofus thinks the Rays will be more like the 2007 Devil Rays this season, and predicts 78 wins. Their logic? Because 9 does not equal 8 apparently. That’s right. Not a single baseball reason for their projection. Just a stereotype. [Stuff and Things]
- At the other end of the spectrum, you have this Paul White piece in USA Today that says the Rays are built to prove 2008 was the rule and not the exception. How many baseball reasons does White provide? Too many to count. [USA Today]
- The King of Lists is still at it with his “Your Team Ain’t S#!t” series. This time it is #21 Milwaukee. [Bugs and Cranks]