THE GOOD: Hmmm? Give us a second. We’ll come up with something…Nothing yet…Well, it was good to be able to watch the Rays for the first time since the World Series…That’s all we got.
THE BAD: Mitch Talbot. Yes, the wind was blowing out to left and yes, Mrs. Professor could have hit a home run yesterday if she could get the ball up in the air. But that doesn’t excuse three home runs in one inning. Nobody else gave up more than a single home run. A good pitcher adapts to his stuff and adapts to the conditions. Talbot has to keep his sinker down in that situation and he didn’t, end of story. Pointing out that Talbot settled down after the first inning reminds us too much of 2007 Edwin Jackson and how he always had just one bad inning. Talbot has now allowed 7 runs in 4 innings this spring…Dewon Day. Day, the reliever the Rays picked off waivers, then DFA’d and then assigned to the minors, made his debut for the Rays and got pounded. Day allowed 4 hits and a walk, leading to 5 runs (1 earned) in 2 innings…Reid Brignac. Brignac is 0-10 as a major leaguer and it hasn’t gotten any better this spring. Brignac is 0-7 in 4 games.
THE TELLING: It isn’t just the pitchers that are being eased into the spring games. Yesterday’s lineup featured only one player, Pat Burrell, that figures to be an everyday player this season. In 4 games, Carl Crawford and Gabe Gross have 3 at bats, Dioner Navarro has 4, Evan Longoria and Jason Bartlett only have 5. Carlos Pena and BJ Upton, both recovering from surgery have yet to make an appearance. And of course Aki Iwamura is away with the Japanese WBC squad…We are also still waiting for the spring debuts of each of the Rays top 4 starting pitchers.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Marc Topkin takes a look at some of the option Joe Maddon has with the lineup. [St. Pete Times]
- Marc Lancaster takes a look at how the Rays are handling the starting pitchers this spring. [Tampa Tribune]
- JP Howell and Willy Aybar have left camp to join their respective WBC squads. [MLB]
- Joe Smith is reporting that Carlos Pena is scheduled to make his spring debut on Friday. [The Heater]
- Rays of Light updates their roster projection. [Rays of Light]